CHAPTER FIVE: Get-together

The rest of the week went really fast. Everyday me, Nenye and Vicky would go to school together in the morning then Chidindu would join us in the afternoon. I found out that we were in the same class just that he was in the art class. That was probably why I didn't see him until after school.

It was now Saturday and I had homework to do.

I was sitting on the desk chair in my bedroom with a black pen in my hand. I stuck the thing in my hair and tried to focus on the math homework that was asking me to find x in an equation.
Nenye then walked in. She didn't have to knock because my door was wide open.

"You should really start closing your door," She said as she went straight for my wardrobe.

"You know how mum gets whenever we lock our doors," I said back.

Her reply was muffled as her head was buried in my wardrobe.

"What are you looking for?" I asked and turned my chair to face her.

Her hair was tied up nicely in a bun and she was all dressed up.

"This," she said and brought out one of my sneakers.

"Are you going somewhere?" I asked.

"Yeah Vicky's friend from another school is having a get-together," She replied.

I looked at her with disbelief clearly written on my face.

"A get-together? Isn't that just another excuse to have a party."

"No it isn't it's just a gathering of friends," She defended.

"Yes, but they're not even your friends," I replied.

"But they're Vicky's... I don't even know why I'm still explaining myself to you," She said and walked to the door.

"You're right, you should be explaining yourself to mum and not me," I laughed.

She didn't say anything as she finally walked out of the room with my shoes in her hand.

I sighed and went back to my homework. After finishing that one I moved on to the English essay, we were asked to read and answer questions on it. It took me less than 10 minutes to finish it and move on to Chemistry.

My phone then started to vibrate. I picked it up to see that it was a message from Kolade.

"Hi!!" He sent.

"Hey wassup." I replied.

"This chemistry homework is really annoying."

"Ah ya, I just started mine so I can't help you."

"No wahala, I'll just copy yours on Monday morning 😝."(no wahala is pidgin for no problem).

"😒 Wow, you're such a serious student."

" Hehe... How is your boyfriend?"

"What boyfriend??"

"The one that you're tripping for. I think he told you that his name is Chidinma."

"You mean Chidindu."

"So you admit that he is your boyfriend."

"Zaram!!" Mom called from downstairs.

"Brb mumsi is calling my name."

" How very convenient. This convo is not over!!!" He quickly replied.

I chuckled at his reply and went downstairs to answer mum's call. She was lying down on the sofa in the living room with a remote in her hand. The television was showing a movie from African magic and Nenye was standing in front of her with a purse draped on her shoulder.