Chapter Three: Dark Beauy

By the time Lily and Billy banged on the cellar door leading to the Nugget Cave, dusk had set in. Temperatures and the day's hours were dropping quickly as the seasons changed and the wind picked up. There was a hard churning sound below the metal door, of gears turning. When the siblings heard the click, they spun the wheel handle and made their descent.

When Billy hit the cushion of nuggets, he looked up at his sister, slowly climbing down the ladder. Despite both him and Nugget surviving the Nugget Free Fall without any injuries, Lily didn't trust the entry procedure and so Nugget built a ladder down. To be fair, he did need an actual way out other than climbing the walls and hoping it was enough to get to to the top.

Billy started immediately looking around the Nugget Cave for any spots where flowers could be grown. The entirety of the floor was made up of tightly pressed dirt with several living areas having rugs. He looked at every portion of the floor as Lily finally made it to the cave floor.

"Nugget? Where are the flowers grown? There isn't any difference in the flooring since our last visit." Billy couldn't wrap his head around the flowers, and was still worked up about them hours after lunch.

"Nugget has not planted the special flowers in the Nugget Cave, Nugget requires more research before gardening can begin."

"Gardening? Nugget I'm talking about the flowers from lunch, the one that Buggs trampled and was just fine!"

"Nugget knows what the Nosy Billy is speaking of."

"You said you found the flowers in the Nugget Cave!"

"Nugget did not lie, Nugget was in the Nugget Cave when he discovered the mystical flowers."

"So you found them in the Nugget Cave, but the weren't GROWN in the Nugget Cave?" Lily inquired.

"The Pretty Lily is correct."

"How is that possible?" The pair asked in unison.

Nugget rolled up his sleeves to the reveal many breeds of flowers, each with its own coloration and shade, it looks like someone put too much effort into a pride costume. "Huh, there is two more than the last time Nugget counted them."

"Wait, Nugget, are those soul mate flowers?" Billy asked with a shocked expression.

"Nugget believes so, either they are flowers of the soul mate variety or Nugget is turning into a plant person. Either or." He said grabbing a blade and beginning to cut the blooms.

Lily laughed at Nugget's sarcasm, "well congratulations Nugget! You won't die alone!"

"Do not congratulate Nugget, also The Pretty Lily is wrong, Nugget has The Pretty Lily and the Nosy Billy."

Lily and Billy were silent for a moment deep in thought, not understanding why Nugget wouldn't be happy about the flora.

After a little while, Nugget broke the silence, "The flowers are a dark beauty, a symbol of innocence but have the roots of bloodshed."

"Oh." A memory seemed to be forgotten, something that was so obvious but was overshadowed. Of course Nugget would remember the original cause of the flowers and not be pushed by societal reasons to celebrate the flowers.

"So this entire time everyone has been celebrating pain."

"The Nosy Billy is correct, aside from Nugget."

"So, Nugget, how many flowers do you have? Not that many right?"

"The Pretty Lily can find some in the chests."

Lily looked through the chests of flower crowns, they were beautiful but many. "Have you tried to locate your soul mate?"

"Nugget is about to begin his investigation."

"How do you know your soul mate even attends our school?" Billy asked.

"Nugget can feel it."

"In your heart?" Asked Lily.

"In Nugget's esophagus."