Na'eole & Kana'i

Nualolo Kai

A few weeks had passed since Alohi returned to Nualolo from Manā. Although she missed her dad, Kapua and Kaulana, she fully immersed herself into helping with the care of the aina and enjoying her days with her sea animal friends. She also returned to her studies, as Kapua had been her lead tutor, Ku'uwehi had since taken over. Alohi had learned to read and write since she was five years old with the help of her mom, reading books to her and teaching her the Hawaiian alphabet and vowels. She also learned about current events from her dad and his guards. Na'eole often shared with her the stories of his youth, as he was the eldest of her father's guards and the most experienced. He had trained many guards within their group and in Manā before following Ho'omana. "Anakala?' Alohi questioned, she had many questions for him as he was so used to it. "Ae Kealohi...e nīnau mai." He sighed continuing to carve his wood piece. He made many things out of wood, including tikis, bracelets, gourds and housewares for the hale. "Ha'o oe i kou ohana?" she asked him, if he missed his family. She had never asked such a personal question before, so it caught him off guard. "Ae ha'o nui au i ku'u ohana" he replied, saying that he did miss them. He explained to her how his youngest son Kana'i joined him when he decided to follow Ho'omana and be the leader of the guards, leaving his two older boys Makoa and Hāmau in Manā. He also explained that his sons were not given a choice of becoming guards; it was part of their blood, their upbringing and their duty, and about his beautiful wife Lahela, one of the strongest women he knew, who decided to stay with their older boys and care for their family home in Manā instead of following him to Nualolo. He also shared, how in the years that has since passed, Makoa and Hāmau had married and now have keiki of their own, growing their family even more. "Wow Anakala!" Alohi smiled "I wish to live a life as fulfilled as that one day!" she announced. Na'eole laughed at her and ushered her into the hale to get cleaned up for supper. Although her father was absent, Alohi felt a great sense of family around her; after all they had become her ohana during this time of her life and one that she'd always cherish.

Manā

"We will be leaving for Nualolo at dawn!" Ho'omana announced to his men. They had been working hard for a few months and he wanted to reward them with a break and also surprise his daughter on her fifteenth birthday with a luau. He sent Makani to Waimea to call upon Kapua and Kaulana as well as her son Koa and his friend Lamakū inviting them to her birthday celebration. "Does she know of her party Anakala?" Kaulana asked Chief Ho'omana. "A'ole and i'm trusting you not to say anything" he advised her. "Ae!" she saluted as if she were on a pirate ship. "Wait if she sees my brother and his friend, she will know something is up" Kaulana announced. The rest of them laughed and continued loading the boats. Na'eole's ohana was invited along as well as the ohana of the other guards. Makani was the only guard who had not invited his ohana. "Aole pilikia" he responded to Ho'omana, when asked about his ohana. "Ku'u wahine ua hapai aole hiki iaia e hele mai" he explained, announcing his wife, Lehua's pregnancy and being unable to travel. "Ha'awi oia i keia makana" he continued handing over a handmade gift that his wife had made for Alohi. "Mahalo iaia" Ho'omana smiled. He offered Makani to stay back in Manā until the birth of their child but Makani insisted to come along. In truth he needed the work and the means to support his wife and child, but when it was time for her to Hānau he would return to Manā. He also knew Alohi would not forgive him for missing her birthday.

Wainiha

Malanai enjoyed the crisp cool breeze as she hung the bedding on the outdoor clothes line while Hilina'i chased a frog jumping in their backyard, it was days like this that she loved, ones where she felt good enough to walk outside and enjoy the sun on her face and wind in her hair. She even had the energy to chase her three-year-old daughter around. She could hear the sounds of the forest to the side of her, the rustling of the trees and leaves of the kalo in the lo'i near their hale. Her son's voice in the fields, working alongside her husband, these were the moments she lived for. "Mama" Hilina'i tugged on the bottom of her dress, pulling her out of her revelry. "Ae" she smiled to her daughter "wook" Hilina'i exclaimed, pointing to the frog she was holding by it's feet. Malanai screamed jumping up and away from her, she could not believe her daughter was holding a frog. Malanai was afraid of those darn things since she was Hilina'i's age. She forced her to let go of the frog as they watched it jump away in the opposite direction. "Mama" Hilina'i cried already missing her new friend. "A'ole" Malanai replied stifling her laugh, between Hilina'i and Kililau's fascination with insects and animals she had no idea what to make of it. "Must be your dad's side" she sighed carrying her daughter into the tub to wash up. The hours passed and soon the boys were home for supper. Malanai had prepared fish and poi for them and also cut up some papaya to eat afterward as well as mamaki tea to drink. She sat on the back porch and watched as the moonlight shined on the lo'i fields below, still enjoying the cool breeze and the calmness of the night. Ha'ikū joined her after putting Hilina'i to sleep, he told her of their day's work and his training with Kililau in the upcoming weeks.