Lilina

Nualolo Kai

There once was a beautiful Chiefess named Kealohilani, who was raised by her parents in the peaceful and serene village of Nualolo Kai. Her father, Chief Ho'omana had been the youngest of his siblings and while his brothers fought for control of the moku and ahupua'a in the west end village of Manā, Ho'omana found solace in the ocean and mountains, relocating his little ohana to the desolate cove. One day he and his wife, Lilina, sat on the shore of Nualolo, watching their 3-year-old daughter, Alohi as she waded in the water. They noticed her giggling and laughing, as she sat in a little pool at the waters edge. Her bright eyes beaming, as curly tendrils of hair bounced up and down.  She hummed to herself a nursery rhyme and kept her eyes fixated on the water. "I wonder what she is laughing at?" her mother asked. "I think she is laughing at her friend honu." Her father replied, referring to a baby turtle he'd seen in the pond like pool, their baby was now sitting in. Jumping up, Lilina ran to pick her up out of the water. "A'ole" the Chief called after her "Wiho iāia" he continued, telling her to leave her be, "she is playing with the only friend she knows." He reminded her. Lilina stopped in her tracks and turned to face him. It was true, aside from the few ladies in waiting, and guards that lived with them; there were no other people who lived in the cove or the surrounding areas. It was just they, who lived there.  She turned and slowly walked toward her daughter, careful not to alarm her. Honu was brushing his legs against the bottom of her feet and it tickled her. "Mummy" she smiled "look honu tickle" she laughed. The chiefess smiled in return and let them continue playing; it warmed her heart to see her daughter so happy. Her husband was right, the village was remote and on the very rare occasion they had visitors, there were no children with whom Alohi could play with. Later that evening, after putting Alohi to sleep, they took a moonlit stroll on the shore. They spoke about having another child.  "If it is fated to be, it will be." Chief Ho'omana sighed; he knew his wife wanted another child. "All I've ever wanted was Alohi to have the kind of peace that I longed for as a child. To not know of strife." He continued. "My father and his brothers fought for control over the moku and ahupua'a and now my brothers and soon my nephews will too" "I know dear" Lilina comforted him "but to not have any family around her is very lonely, especially at this age." She continued. They sat under the stars and listened to the waves, although they wrestled with thoughts of the future, there in that moment, they felt a sense of calm and knew that their home was a truly magical place.

Ten years later

            "Alohi it's storming!" Lilina called out to her headstrong daughter, who ran with determination toward the ocean. "I'll be careful mom I promise." She continued, and dove into the water. The Chiefess sent a guard after her, slowly making her own way down to shore. Alohi had wanted to make sure that her friends were okay from the storm that barreled through the coast. Lilina waited on shore until she saw her daughter emerging from the water. "Mom you're soaked," Alohi gasped as she ran ashore, clasping on to her mother's hand, they headed toward the house. "For not listening to me, you are not allowed out of this house! Do you understand?" her mom demanded. Alohi sulked but replied with an "ok" helping her mom dry off from the rain. Chief Ho'omana and a few of his guards had gone into the mountains of Na Pali and had finally arrived home on the fourth night. The Chiefess had fallen ill due to the storm and had not waken for three days. "Pa!" Alohi ran toward him as he and his men docked in. "Ihea kou Mama?" or where is your mom, he asked Alohi, excited to show her the meat from the hunt and also the plants, fruits and flowers they brought back. "Ua ma'i oia" Alohi replied, informing him of her mother's illness. Ho'omana ran to her bedside and felt her head.  It was burning and her body felt like it was on fire. He called on the ladies to draw a cold bath and to prepare the lā'au, or medicine, he had brought back. Bending down, he lifted her up carefully and carried her to the tub. He needed to get her body temperature stabilized "Darling please wake." He whispered in her ear. Lilina opened her eyes and smiled faintly. She had been running a fever for a few days now and felt weak. "You're home" she smiled. "Yes and we have meat and fruits and I brought back some flowers for you too." "ooh sounds lovely" she replied. Removing her dress he placed her in the cold bath that stung her skin. "I'm sorry Hun, we need to bring down your temperature." He explained.  Alohi helped her dad and brought the lā'au to him, then helped the ladies change out her mother's bedding.  After her bath, the chiefess sat in bed as food was prepared for her and she ate a bit before drifting back to sleep.  Ho'omana blew out the candle and closed the door.  He found Alohi outside of their room asleep on the mat.  He woke her and she quickly stood up. "How is mum?" she asked. "She's better but I might have to find a kahuna or medicine woman to look at her, if she does not get better." He replied. They walked toward the shore and sat. "Where will you go?" Alohi asked.  "Kamaile." He answered. "A place just a ways up from here, on this mountain range behind us. Hidden in the forest is a beautiful grove called Na'e. There are medicinal plants there that can help your mom. Your tutu Hanaike's sister, my aunt, a medicine woman, lives there and might be able to kokua." Ho'omana explained. "Can I come with you?"  Alohi questioned. "A'ole, you need to look after your mom and malama her, hiki no?"  "Ae" she smiled. They loved to sing songs late in to the night and sang a lullaby as they watched the stars. "Papa?" "Hmm" he sighed. "Why is my name so long?" she questioned. "Well your name speaks of heaven." He answered. "Your mom loved to watch the sunsets on the shores of Nohili, which according to her is the absolute perfect spot to watch it. Every now and then, the suns rays would peak out from the clouds right as the sun is going down past the mountains of Ni'ihau and it looked as if it were the opening gates to heaven, that light is the shine from heaven that your name speaks of." Alohi smiled at his explanation, she often wondered what her name meant and now she knew.