Chapter Twenty-Seven ~ For King and Country

The sound of that war-horn sent shivers down my spine and made my stomach knot with nerves and fear. War was finally upon us, whether we were prepared or not.

As we broke up camp, I stared out across the valley. I could see Hartfield Palace and the city's high walls to my right, the crowned blackbird of Santiana fluttering over the tents to my left. And in between them, in between lay Duke Victor's enormous host of soldiers, horses and the hulking shapes of trolls.

The plan was for Cassy to remain on the hill, which offered a clear overview of the battle, and relay information to Bash. Silas, who seemed quite taken with Cassy, offered to stay with her, as Soteria wanted him as far from danger as possible. Alastair and I were returning to Hartfield Palace, to reassure Percival of Alastair's safety and rally the troops within the palace. Theo was to join Father and Bash on the battlefield, accompanied by Killian. The dragons were to remain hidden until battle was joined, as we did not want to alert Victor to their presence too early.

'I wish you luck with your fighting,' I said, placing a hand on Soteria's nose.

'May the sun always be at your back,' Soteria touched her nose to my forehead. 

'And the wind beneath your wings,' Xenia added as she also touched my forehead.

'You better be safe,' Cassy said, hugging me tightly.

'And you,' I said.

Theo and Killian walked us back to the entrance to the tunnel. As we approached the tunnel, I turned to Theo, intending to say goodbye, but the words would not pass the lump now lodged in my throat. I blinked rapidly then buried my head in his chest. Theo cradled the back of my head, stroking my hair.

'Stay safe,' Theo said, his voice muffled in my hair.

'You too,' I said. 'I'll kill you if you get hurt.'

Theo laughed as he wiped a tear off my cheek. He reached into his cloak and pulled out a dagger.

'Here,' he said. 'Father gave this to me years ago, but I think you need it more than I do.'

'Thank you,' I said.

As Theo turned to Alastair, Killian pulled me behind a large oak tree, gripping my forearms tightly.

'Elia,' he said seriously. 'Neither of us knows what is going to happen today and I want you to have this,' he said, taking Arras' amulet from around his neck.

As the pendant settled around my neck, I felt a much heavier weight descend in my chest, squeezing me tightly and cutting off my breath.

'I have something for you, too,' I said, pulling out the carving of Bear I had been working on. 'It's not quite finished, but...'

He took it, turning it over in his hands. 'It's beautiful, El,' he said, tucking it into the inside breast pocket of his jacket.

Killian glanced around then cupped my cheek in his hand and kissed me fiercely, passionately, and I returned his fervour, gripping the front of his shirt. The kiss was bittersweet, and I could feel his tears on my cheek. He pulled back and hugged me tightly, and I clung to his jacket, knowing what would come when I let go. Finally, we re-joined the others. Alastair glanced at me but made no comment as Killian bent to hug Bear.

'You be a good boy for Elia, OK?' he said, ruffling Bear's ears.

I lit the lamp and we entered the tunnel. I could sense Theo and Killian behind me, and I didn't dare turn around for fear I wouldn't be able to stop looking at them.

The tunnel was dark and narrow, with tree roots poking through the earthen walls. It sloped gently downwards and I rested my left hand in Bear's fur, taking comfort in his warm presence against my leg. Soon, the tunnel widened into a little circular chamber, with four other tunnels extending off it. There was a little drawing of a crown on the far-left passageway.