Sixteen

***
  "I'm sorry James. I am so, so sorry for what happened."

  "For what happened? You happened! You happened to me! How could you do that? How could you do that to me? I hate you! I freakin hate you Jordan!"

***

  The cold metal burned my face as I felt groggy hours later, and I was awoken by someone shaking me. I hadn't even realized I had fallen asleep until I opened my eyes to the dull light back in the interrogation room, and two familiar faces greeted me.

  "James, are you ok hunny?" my mom sat next to me as my dad was right next to her, and they both stared with concern yet anger on their faces. But not angry at me I could only assume, but angry at the officers.

  Sitting up, I shook my head out of the fog and grogginess, and I leaned against the metal chair while I wasn't surprised I was still in the interview room.

  "Uhhhh.....yeah. Yeah, I'm good," I said, still a bit in a daze, as I couldn't get the dream I just had out of my head. The feelings still so strong and present, although I tried my best to let them go, to bring myself into the now. "What's.....what's going on? When did you guys get here?"

  "We found out you were here not too long ago, and we rushed over here as soon as we could. The police are supposed to call us when they want to speak to you, they can't question you or interrogate you without a parent here if you are under eighteen," my mother said as she brushed my hair away from my face, and I tensed up by her touch, or by any touch. Flinching a bit, she seemed to instantly take notice as her eyes grew large and concerned. I was suddenly embarrassed, stunned that I did that myself, and I tried to settle down seconds later. Why did I just do that? But I tried to let it go.

  "How long have you been here?" my dad asked moments later, bringing me out of thoughts seconds earlier as I payed attention to him.

  "Ummmm, I don't know....since the start of school this morning I guess—"

  "Wait, you've been here all day? For what?" Both my parents were extremely shocked, as it seemed they were completely clueless, like no one had informed them of anything at all. I was stunned as well, confused as I stared off at them straight ahead. Seriously? What the hell kind of cops worked here? They are looking at me as a suspect in a crime, and no one informs my parents at all? Who the hell do these guys think they are? Isn't that, like, not allowed or something?

  "They......they just keep asking me the same questions. Like where I was that night, and what went on between me and Jordan, and all that stuff."

  "So, they think you had something to do with Jordan's death?" my father asked as the two began to slow down their questions, not shooting them one by one as the two of them glanced over at each other, and their expressions became unreadable.

  "Well......did you have anything to do with it?" my mom finally asked after a few moments, and I shot a look towards her instantly. What? What did she just say?

  "Are......are you serious Mom?" I asked, stunned, keeping my eyes sharp on her. "How could you think that?"

  "Well, is there any truth behind it?" my dad soon said, chiming in as I shot my head towards him, and a deep frown mixed with all my furious confusion was settled on my face. What is this? Seriously? My parents think I could have done something like this? Them too? They think I could have taken a life? My best friends life? Really?

  "How......how could you guys even think that? I.....I could never do that to anyone, let alone Jordan? How could you think I could have done something to him?"