Chapter 6: Deadly Encounter

Tyler

"Well, well, well... I see you two are back late." I watched as Ryan and Kisa walked in together.

"Ryan wanted to eat out on the way. He's stomach doesn't last for too long," Kisa sighed.

"Well, who do you think cooks for him while he's here?" I laughed.

She giggled a bit, then looked up at Ryan. "Here take this," he said, handing a large bag to her.

"Should I keep it in my room...?"

"Yeah. Just hang it in the closet," he replied.

"Kisa, did you eat? The rest of the guild ate here already," I asked.

"You cooked for everyone?"

"Ha ha, why are you so amazed? You think I can't handle the crowd?"

"N-No it's not that..."

"She didn't eat. I'm going to soak in the bath a bit. So tired... See you tomorrow morning, guys." Ryan left.

I watched as Kisa stood awkwardly by the doorway. She wouldn't look up at me, nor would she move a step. "Aren't you hungry?"

"Ah, um, no thank you."

I patted the empty bench space next to me, and she slowly walked over. "Come sit here with me. I need to discuss some things with you... I highly doubt Ryan remembered to talk over the important stuff."

She nodded quietly. "Ok, good. Let me explain a few things. I'm sure you've seen those Black Holes looming around, right?"

"Yes..."

"And I'm sure you've noticed that some of them release human bodies they've been gradually devouring once you defeat them, correct?"

"Rarely, but yes..."

"Probably not much around here, since we do a pretty good job at keeping those pests away. But in other areas across the nation and around the world without a guild's protection, I bet you they always release a human body. There are other casters in some other states but many reside in major cities, not rural or suburban areas."

"Why don't you recruit more then?"

"The government has been trying to lure more casters in the guild system but not all are willing to work for governing power. On top of all that, some casters prefer to use their own powers for self-desire and greed. We're working on trying to train our members here and sending them out to underserved areas but it's a working progress. But hey, we got you, right? We even thought that we recruited all of the casters in the area, but it seems like you somehow managed to escape us."

"I'm pretty good at blending in."

"Well, that helps a lot, especially since some people would kill you on the spot if they knew you possessed magic."

"Oh, I see..." I could tell the thought sent chills down her spine.

"Anyway... so we're basically paid to clean up what the SinisterClan is leaving behind. You, as a member, have to help us. This means taking a couple of road trips once in a while, checking outside the gates at least five times a week, and so on."

"Wait... Road trips? You mean... we can travel?" She sounded almost thrilled.

"What? You've never been out of town before?"

"I could never afford it. My family always stayed in town. We lived in that huge market home base where all the merchants and traveling merchants stay. I moved out of there a couple of years ago to fend for myself..."