October 17, 2015

“Hello?” I repeat, talking into the voicemail.

“Leave your message after the beep.” The woman finishes.

“Oh, um.” The tone sounds. “Hey, Michael, It’s Anna.” I sounded much more confident than I felt. “I got your messages on Twitter and yeah, I’m still in LA. If you close by, just give me a call. It would be great to see you again.” I sounded like an ex girlfriend that had moved on. “Alright, I’ll talk to you later, bye.”

I ended the one sided conversation. Staring at the screen for a minute, I couldn’t decipher what had just happened. Before I realized how terrified I actually was; I threw my phone, watching it slide along the ground, still in one piece. It landed near the pool and I sighed when it rested a few inches from the edge.

My knees curved, propelling me to the ground. Sitting there, I hyperventilated. Ragged breathing seeped through my lips. My mind was racing, my heart pounding, and tears welling behind my eyes. God dammit Michael…

My phone rocked against the concrete, making an unnerving sound. Someone was calling. It didn’t have to see the ID to know the caller.

“God dammit,” I shook my head, scrunching my eyes together.

“GOD DAMMIT!” I screamed, my voice hoarse from the crying I had not yet done.

Ashton shifted on the chair, nearly waking from sleep. When he settled, I crawled uncomfortably over to my phone, pressing buttons and putting it up to my ear.

“Hello?” I stutter, sounding as if I was crying.

He sighed, “Anna.”

“Michael,” I mimicked.

“How are y- Where are you? Are you in LA?” He panicked as if I had been a sister that ran away from home.

“I’m in LA.” I ran a hand through my hair. “I’m with Emma and Callie.”

“Are you alright?” Are you safe? Are you happy? I knew what he meant.

“Yeah, I’m okay. Better than I’ve been in a while.” I swallowed, not the right thing to say.

“Oh,” He breathed. I could see his eyebrows crunching together. “That’s good.”

“Yeah,” I nod. He can’t fucking see me. “How are you?”

“I’m alright.” He pauses. “I’ve been better.”

“When?” I encourage. “When were you better?” I don’t know what possessed me, but I need to hear him say he misses me. I need to know that I’m needed.