Washington,D.C. December. 24, 2018

The United States of America

He stared out from his apartment balcony, a glass of cola held in his palm. The city lights reflected from his glasses, splashes of color paint his spectacles. Yet, underneath all the color was a blank ocean of blue  in his eyes.

Philippines...It has been a long time since he heard that name. He reminisced the exotic spices that certain country brought to his life, the nation's long sun-kissed hair, her heterochromatic eyes--- dark wood on the left and gold amber on the right. He recalled her smile, laugh, and...cries. Then he remembered his promise to her,

" I shall return ." he had said years ago. He watched her hold back tears, forcing a nod. The United States gripped his rifle tighter. He could never leave her in the middle of a war. He could protect her, save her. He is the hero after all. He was the hero...It's just that he could, but he shouldn't. He turned his back, the helicopter awaiting him in a secured place. Ah! Screw It!, he thought as his feet ran back to his colony. America was being pulled back to her like some rope was around his heart that always brought him back to her. The foreign colonizer hugged his colony in his arms. ' I shall return ' was never his promise.

" I swear to you, mahal, I will set you free. And I'll love you forever, I will never leave you and hurt you again," he whispered in her ears.

He never thought of the consequence of reality during that exchange. He only did half of the promise. He did set her free, the rest...

" I'm such a jerk." he hissed under his breath, leaning on his balcony's railings. This wasn't the happy-go-lucky America everyone knew, this was a broken part of him that was hidden away. Little to his knowledge, a light peach haired nation stared down at a headline written boldly on a newspaper placed on a coffee table.

' Philippines cuts ties with the U.S. economically and militarily. '

" Not severe ties, but to separate,"  it said.

His light violet eyes glanced at his southern neighbor. " America...J'espère que tout ira bien." 

This was salvaged from a maid that worked in that apartment. She said she was only allowed to clean when the owner was out. We paid her to do it, she accepted. None of my staff knows if this is authentic or not. Nobody knows if this is real or not. That is why my organization is doing its best to give the public the Verdad.

- Totoo ba o hindi?