July 2020

Minority Mental Health Awareness Month

Now, more than ever, supporting people of colour's mental health is something you should advocate for and talk about. Minority Mental Health Month was started in 2008 and is officially titled "Bebe Moore Campbell National Minority Mental Health Awareness Month." Bebe was an American novelist who explored race relations and mental illness in her work and educated the world about the extra stigma people of colour feel when they need mental health support. The idea of this month is to break down some of the many barriers people of colour feel. With people of colour 50% less likely to seek help for mental health than white people, mental health care is often viewed as something for white people or can feel isolating for a person of colour.

If you aren't a POC, it's easy to push aside racism as 'not your problem' but that isn't okay. It's certainly your problem if you're white, because you've always had superiority and the privilege that comes with being part of a racist system. This isn't us trying to make you feel guilty (because that doesn't help anyone). We'd rather you utilise your privilege to speak up when you see racism and racist behaviour. It's time to lift up the BAME community's voice so other white people will listen.

According to Stonewall's briefing from 2012 about ethnicity and being LGBTQ+, 76 percent of Black and minority ethnic gay and bisexual boys have thought about taking their own life compared to 56 percent of white gay and bisexual boys. 83 percent of Black and minority ethnic lesbian and bisexual girls deliberately harm themselves compared to 71 percent of white lesbians and bisexual girls. These statistics are horrifying and something needs to be done. We've heard firsthand from LGBTQ+ people of colour that they have experienced racism within the LGBTQ+ community. As a queer person myself, I find it disgusting that we oppress the very people who fought for our civil rights during the Stonewall riots.

Black trans women experience some of the highest levels of fatal violence in the LGBTQ+ community. Being Black and LGBTQ+ can lead to a feeling of isolation, as you can face homophobia/transphobia within your family. Yet, even the LGBTQ+ community might not feel like a safe space as POC may face racism there, too.

With the charity "Mind" offering different projects for young Black men, it seems that within the last few years, things have begun to change. However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't question if this is enough. Because it isn't. There are still many Black (and BAME) young people with an enormous need for better mental health support. It is not enough to acknowledge these statistics and nothing will be enough until they improve for the better. Boys from African Caribean communities have a significantly higher chance of developing mental health problems like schizophrenia and (to a lesser extent) PTSD.

We need to begin supporting BAME children when they are young so that they know who to go to when they are struggling or need support with their mental health. It is time that colleges, schools, and workplaces make an effort for the Black students and employees and step up to the mark.

Refugees (and asylum seekers) are people who have fled war, violence, conflict or persecution and have crossed an international border to find safety in another country. Sadly, they face an increased risk of depression, PTSD, and anxiety disorders. While this can be due to pre-migration migration experiences (such as war trauma) and post-migration conditions (such as separation from family, difficulties with asylum procedures, and poor housing).

Wattpad clubs that can help with this: Blacklivesmatter22

UV Safety Awareness Month

So, I suppose you've already heard of ultraviolet aka UV light. It comes from the sun and it's bad for your skin. Wear sunscreen to stay safe from it. But that's not all that there is to UV, and it's never bad to learn a bit more about something like this.

That's exactly why the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has made July the UV safety month. Why July? Well, July is a warm month. People will be spending time outdoors. Exposing themselves to UV light.

Ultraviolet light is a type of radiation, which is why it is bad for the skin. High amounts of UV can cause skin cancer and many other issues, so protecting yourself from it is important. But that doesn't mean you should just stay inside all summer! There are numerous ways to stay safe, even in sunlight.

Firstly, you should avoid tanning beds. Yes, getting a perfect tan with next to no effort can be tempting, but just like the sun, that bed radiates UV light, and your skin will thank you if you skip it.

Secondly, wear sunscreen and protective clothes. This is the most important part, and I cannot stress it enough. There are many different kinds of protective summer clothes, give them a try. And then the sunscreen. On all exposed areas of skin, at least 30 SPF but you should use higher depending on your skin colour, age, and the current UV levels. (You can usually check the levels from your local weather forecast.)

But if you're going swimming, don't worry. Yes, you won't have as many protective clothes, and yes the sunscreen will wash away, but as long as you get dressed later and reapply your sunscreen, everything will be fine.

And lastly, even if you follow all of these rules, do try to take a break from direct sunlight from time to time. You'll also prevent heatstroke that way :)

Have a fun and safe summer!

UV Related Resources:

https://voice.ons.org/stories/raise-awareness-in-july-for-ultraviolet-safety-and-skin-cancer-risk
https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitting-products/tanning/ultraviolet-uv-radiation
https://www.curetoday.com/articles/be-sun-smart-during-uv-safety-awareness-month
https://www.nchs-health.org/july-uv-safety-awareness-month/
https://www.cancerhealth.com/page/cancer-awareness-months-days#july
https://www.cancer.org/healthy/be-safe-in-sun.html