Chapter 4

Surprise is the greatest gift which life can grant us.
- Boris Pasternak

At Landucci, everything was back to normal. The smell of freshly brewed coffee filled the kitchen and the chefs were working in a frenzy, trying to meet the standards Landucci was known for.

Dear Domenico bubbled with happiness the moment I signed in for the day. He ranted about how he had to put up with Laura at my absence and I just giggled at everything. Laura had once commented about how I had a rapport with older people and I just laughed it off, commenting that I was an old soul.

Mr. Curtis barely acknowledged my presence while Kelly asked politely about my ankle and frowned when I told her I that I didn't visit the hospital. I was yet to ask Laura how she got Kelly to spill details about the incident with the blue-eyed stranger.

As early as eight, the restaurant was already serving breakfast. I worked the morning shift eight to one from Mondays through Wednesdays and the remaining days of the week excluding Sundays, I worked the afternoon shift– we weren't allowed to work double shift. On Sundays, I only worked at the Home at night and spend my daytime lazing around and sketching.

"Thank you," The middle aged woman said as I delivered her order and I gave her a smile. I went to another table to have their orders. I couldn't help but notice Lilly, the little shrew with her father and a woman who I presumed was her mother. I sighed in relief as I noticed that they weren't at my side of the restaurant so I wouldn't have to serve them. Lilly's eyes met mine and for a moment I was intimidated– but only for a moment. The corner of my lips in a reflex action, lifted into a haunting smile and the frown that appeared on the girl's face was priceless.

Why wasn't she even at school?

After receiving and delivering a few more orders, some diners at my corner left and new sets of people came in and one of them was Dorian Kane and a woman. No, it wasn't Dana– it was a much younger lady maybe 19 or 20?

She had long dark hair with beautiful golden highlights and a pixie-like structure; small and smart. She was wearing a black chic t-shirt and ripped jeans with a pair of white sneakers giving off this young reality star vibe. My eyes drifted to her companion and he was breathtaking as usual. He was wearing a blazer, white button-down shirt with khakis.

Who is she?

I could easily peg her a model as she walked fluidly, navigating the seas of tables and chairs while on her phone.

Could she be family?

I found myself wondering, and the fact that I cared so much irked me. I stood unprofessionally as I gawked at them while they took their seats.

I regained my stance as I approached them with a faux-professionalism. Somehow I was excited and curious at the same time– why the heck would he return to the place that he almost got humiliated?

"Good morning, may I have your orders?"

Dorian frowned as he looked up from his menu. His stern hazel eyes meeting my brown ones.

"What are you doing here?" I blinked at his question.

"To take your order?"

"I mean here at work, aren't you supposed to be healing?" He said as he glanced down at my foot.

I was wearing a black peep toe heel that matched my black pencil skirt, in contrast to my white Landucci shirt and my shoulder-length mocha hair was held in a high pony tail.

"I'm fine now, thanks," I said feeling slightly flattered for his concern because that was what it is right?

He just nodded in reply. His partner still had her face glued to the screen of her iPhone like we weren't even there.