1 | RECESSIVE WOLF

LEN

     Toronto is a lot different than Peace River. For one thing, most of the werewolves were lone, or they formed pseudo packs like the Calgary wolves that moved down to rural Alberta. The rogues picked up ranks and regularly fought each other for them. They weren't very stable, and people in command changed all the time because wandering wolfs did just that—they wandered and traveled without staying put.

     It made sense. Toronto was a city, and it was hard to keep yourselves away from humans when they were everywhere. It wasn't uncommon for wolves to opt-out to live with humans and repress themselves. So, it wasn't a surprise that there were many hybrids and recessives.

     And I think Adyen is recessive.

     "Pheromones? My wolf? What the fuck are you talking about?" The darker boy stepped as he pulled his hand away from me. His other hand was grasping no to the box that held his drawing board and tools. Some people paused to give us a brief look before they continued on their way. No one seemed too interested in two random dudes arguing in the middle of the main quad. It happened all the time.

     Ah, the University of Toronto.

     I've only been here for six months for a degree in architecture, but I've bumped up to all sorts of werewolves. Grey wolves like myself, eastern wolves, and many foreign wolves who seemed to be immigrants or international students.

     "You're mute now when you were screaming shit at me just seconds ago!" The boy continued, and I just stared, not knowing what to say or where to start. Yes, I had chased him on a whim when I couldn't take the almost magnetic feeling of being drawn to him anymore. I had to meet him and get the process over with before my wolf carved me from the inside out.

     The sound of students walking past us filled what would have been drawn out silence. I let out short breaths, watching their form in the snow as I adjusted my weight from foot to foot, crunching the snow under my boots as I tried to think of where to start. How did you start explaining werewolves to a human?

     I swallowed the spit that had built up in my mouth before tucking my hands in my pockets. I stared at Adyen who was still frowning at me. My chest was squeezing in happiness even though he was mad at me. I finally got to see him up close, and my wolf paced in excitement as I took the time to look at him. He was Afro-Canadian and just shy of my 5'11. He was in think trousers and an even thicker jacket, so I couldn't tell how big he was right now.