4 | HE'S DIFFERENT

ADYEN

     Len did meet me in the library. He had strolled in a little late and looked lost until his eyes caught mine from across the room. He had smiled, and I had looked away feeling a bit flustered. We worked on our assignment together for the next few hours. Something I noticed was that Len was smart and could stay focused for long periods of time—a big contrast from the panicky and oblivious dufus I had been talking to until then. He also seemed less fidgety around me. Maybe he'd sorted out whatever it was that had him acting weird.

     I even asked for his help along the line, and he'd been kind enough to show me what to do. He knew his stuff, and he seemed to get into a fixated zone when working. Somewhere in the middle of all the side glances I gave him, I decided that he didn't look that bad. I know I had made up my mind a while back that he wasn't my type, but he was a lot easier on the eyes once you got used to the rugged jawline and high chiseled cheekbones.

     "What are you going to do after this?" I asked, watching Len zip up his backpack. We had just finished with our assignments and were packing up.

     "Eat lunch," he said, staring at me. I hummed and nodded in response. Earlier this morning during my track practice, I had worried about what Len would think of me when we worked together. I joked about being broke a lot, but it was a coping mechanism. The idea was that if I did it first people would look dumb doing it to me. I had looked at Len's drawing equipment when he had pulled them out to work, and I had noticed how most of his stuff was old or outdated versions of new models. I know it shouldn't have made me feel relieved, but it did.

     There was a complex I still hadn't gotten over after going to a prep school on scholarship. Having costly stuff, or at least being bothered about having pricey things were just the staple, and the attitude just carried over to my university life. Yeah, people didn't stop being materialistic after high school. When my teammates started talking about their shoes or watches I slipped away to be by myself. I didn't have anything to show off, and by the looks of it neither did Len.

     "Do you want to come with me?" I blinked, hearing Len's voice. "To grab lunch," he clarified as he got up from the black chair. The library was large, and there weren't many people around so there was pin-drop silent aside from the occasional cough in the distance.