ABOUT DARK OMEGA

Welcome to the magical future.

Dark Omega is science-fantasy: a fantasy story in a futuristic setting, drawing upon tropes and elements from both genres. More specifically, it tries to blend the archaic and the very high-tech. Think the Renaissance meets the hyper-advanced future. Then toss this mix into a setting reminiscent of the many dynastic wars (Hundred Tears' War, Wars of the Roses, Thirty Years' War, to name a few) that tore apart Europe throughout our history.

The world of Dark Omega was inspired by many things, but I'll keep it brief: Dune, by Frank Herbert, for that futuristic-yet-medieval atmosphere. Heinlein's works, especially Starship Troopers. The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. Asimov's Foundation saga. I'd also like to mention the 2000AD magazine—stuff like Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, Durham Red, Rogue Trooper, and other series had a colossal impact on my young, malleable mind. Works of fantasy include Michael Moorcroft's work on Elric and H.P. Lovecraft's writing, both of which have influenced the cosmology of my world. I'd also like to mention the AD&D Birthright Campaign setting produced by TSR that brought the concept of divine heritage and right to rule to a whole new level. Plenty of elements have been inspired by real-world history, cultures, and religions. I narrowed it down to Norse, Greco-Roman, and Egyptian influences to keep things manageable, but the universe is infinite, so there rest is out there somewhere. The end result, however, is something that's uniquely mine.

The roots of Dark Omega stretch back a decade and more, to a handful of sci-fi short stories I wrote. The common denominator was that they took place both in the mind and the physical universe—and that it wasn't always possible to tell the two realms apart. Magic and science co-existed—and it was hard to tell the two apart when the results they produced were similar. What's the difference between a computer-generated virtual reality and one made using magic?

The very first draft of the story that became Dark Omega was written prior to 2014. It was quite limited in scope (focusing heavily on the mental duel between Haides and Marcus) and set in another universe (the Dark Omega setting wasn't ready until 2016). The bulk of Haides's background and everything that happens to Marcus in the outside universe was added in later revisions.

The first draft also experimented heavily with PoVs, using 1st (the character that became Haides), 2nd (the 'you' character that evolved into Marcus), and 3rd person (other PoVs) to differentiate between characters, and also used a mix of past/present tense for similar purposes. It was a fascinating experiment and learning experience, but not really suitable for public consumption. The final draft of Dark Omega is very different: purely 3rd person past tense (which is what I personally—and the majority of readers—prefer).

It's a complex story. On the surface, it follows Marcus as he tries to unlock the Maiden's secrets. Some alternate PoVs are concurrent with Marcus's adventures: Maxi and Xerza; Kaminsky and the Preacher; and Balack and Kwame, to mention the most important. Also, Marcus must not only contend with Haides in the psychic realm, but he must also follow him back in time to see events as they happened in the distant past. Mostly from Haides's PoV, with a few others mixed in.

The story has two parts (there is a limit to how long a single book can be): Dark Omega and Parting the Veil. Dark Omega is a standalone work, with a beginning, a middle, and an end. At the same time, it's part of a larger story, and if you liked this novel, you'll probably want to read the sequel. And those two volumes only represent the beginning of the adventures of Marcus, Haides, and the Maiden. The richness of the setting also lends itself well to exploring other characters, times, and places. Who knows what great stories are as yet untold...

Felix