Chapter Sixteen

Quinn eyed her pan-fried scotch fillet with delight. It was pretty much her favourite food and as soon as she'd caught the bus home from her therapy session with Kendall, she'd had a craving for it. Of course, the pub on the corner closest to her apartment made the best steaks in the area, but since she didn't feel like eating alone in public, cooking one up herself was the next best thing. She'd even made a Diane sauce to slather generously over the top and some green beans tossed in melted butter. She remembered how Gray had used to love it when she had cooked this meal for him saying it was even better than Isla's attempts and that was no mean feat because even Quinn had to admit Isla's cooking was amazing. Although now she realised that was probably a lie, too. Still, that wasn't going to stop her from enjoying this.

So she was mightily pissed off to hear her buzzer ringing. If it was Summer or Kat they could watch her cook this up and eat it because no way was anyone going to interrupt this meal. But it wasn't either of them. It was Gray's deep rumbly voice she heard through the speaker.

"Quinn, I need to see you. It's urgent and if you don't let me up I will find a way so you might as well just cut the crap and open the door."

Quinn sighed. He was right. Wordlessly she clicked the buzzer to open the security door. She opened her apartment door then went back to flipping her steak.

****

Gray walked in and took one look at her food. "Did I interrupt your dinner?"

"Yes."

"You don't have to eat alone, you know."

"It's okay, I'm used to it."

"What does that mean?"

"It means you were always at work and I ate my dinner alone."

"Quinn, I run a multi-billion dollar, multinational company. Sometimes I have to work long hours."

"You can work for as long as you want. Doesn't bother me anymore."

"Why are you so angry with me?"

"I'm not."

"Yeah, you are. First, you skip out of my office like it was on fire and now your being very antagonistic toward me."

"Is there a reason you came here tonight or were you just going to annoy me."

"I need your help, Quinn."

"My help!"

"Yes, please."

"Why would I help my soon to be ex-husband with anything?"

"Because you're the only person I can trust."

Quinn stopped and looked at him. "Yeah, well I don't trust you. How do I know that you're not about to feed me to the lions?"

"Because I'm not. All I want is to save my newspaper from Dylan, which would benefit you since you work there."

"I don't understand why you need me."

"I need you to buy up some shares in the paper. Anything you can get your hands on, I just need to keep them away from Dylan.

"And where am I supposed to get that kind of money anyway?"

"From me."

"But isn't that like insider trading or something?"

"Not quite, but I would need you to lie a little for me."

"No way."

"Please. It's not illegal, I promise. I just need you to say, if anyone asks, that you used the money I gave you for spousal support."