Love it or hate it, the Joker movie presents a tempting fantasy.

Todd Phillips' standalone supervillain origin story Joker is arriving in theaters amid so much controversy and concern about the potential for copycat violence that the debate has largely overwhelmed the film itself. It's been fascinating to watch the discussion around the movie shift from "Do we really need another Joker story so soon after Suicide Squad?" to "Is Joker full of dangerous ideas that will spur its worst fans to murder?" The initial worries around Joker assumed the movie would be unnecessary, its impact negligible. The current questions ascribe it with too much importance, as if it might incite full-blown anarchy just by existing.

 The current questions ascribe it with too much importance, as if it might incite full-blown anarchy just by existing

As usual in a case where people leap to extremes, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Joker may make some people who feel marginalized feel more seen and more powerful, and they may act out in response. There are some ugly, self-serving messages in the movie, which is incongruously bent on creating sympathy for Batman's worst enemy and one of DC Comics' most notoriously callous mass murderers and atrocity architects. But love it or hate it, the film does spin up a tempting fantasy of persecution and relief, of embracing nihilism as a means of complete escape from a terrible world.

It's a self-pitying fantasy, certainly. Phillips and co-writer Scott Silver follow in the footsteps of Joel Schumacher's 1993 drama Falling Down in portraying the world as a cartoonishly dark and uncaring place, an almost comically vile carnival where the protagonist can't find a hint of comfort or relief. In a thoroughly immersed performance that's being seen as a guaranteed awards-season attention magnet, Joaquin Phoenix plays Arthur Fleck, a part-time rent-a-clown working for a seedy talent agency full of exaggerated grotesques. Arthur is mentally ill and coping via meds and court-ordered therapy, which don't offer comfort or represent caring. He's devoted to his sick mother Penny (Frances Conroy), who's encouraged him to see himself as a joyous light in the world, bringing laughter to the people.

 He's devoted to his sick mother Penny (Frances Conroy), who's encouraged him to see himself as a joyous light in the world, bringing laughter to the people

That tension between sympathy and revulsion is one of the most honest things about Joker, which mostly goes out of its way to make the world awful. While working as a sign-twirler, Arthur is randomly beaten by a handful of kids, who steal his sign and then break it over his head. His boss not only doesn't believe his story, he demands Arthur pay for the missing sign. The dramatic ironies and injustices compound throughout the film, until it's clear that Arthur isn't paranoid, the world really is out to get him. And then he takes violent,  irrevocable action.