𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐋𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐍 𝐎𝐅 𝐀𝐒𝐆𝐀𝐑𝐃

"Pipe down, Astrid!" Whined Eydis, squeezing her hands to her ears, "I'm sure the whole of Asgard can hear your ratty singing!"

"Hey! My voice is beautiful, thank you very much," Astrid huffed, "Besides, your petty whining is just as loud! It's only because your the eldest sister that you get away with being so irritating."

"I'm not whining, and I'm certainly not irritating! I merely just state the truth with added insults."

"From last I remember, that's the equivalent to whining."

"That's silly, Astrid. Whining is—,"

"—Where both of you quieten down, before I tell Mother you two have been arguing again," I cut in with a snap, narrowing my eyes at my two fools of sisters before me, "Now, how about instead of us spending our lovely morning yelling at each other, we go outside and explore the local markets — I'm sure mother would love some new material for her dresses."

Eydis looked curiously out the window of Astrid's small — and rather messy — bedroom, towards the bustling markets fussing around merrily beneath us, "You're the youngest sibling, so it's difficult for me to say that you're right, but I suppose that your proposition does sound like quite a nice idea for an activity."

"Indeed so, I really enjoy visiting the markets!" Astrid added while jumping to her feet, scattering piles of books and drawing pencils all over the floor from her lap, as she did so.

"Although it was your idea, I'm still in charge while Mother is out, Sigrid. No running off and getting lost again, please?" My eldest sister sighed at me, reminiscing the time Astrid and I got lost and cried hysterically in a bewildering alley way, West of the market square.

"I know what you're remembering, but that was when I was 6. I'm 14 now, remember?" I pointed out stubbornly, hoping Eydis would finally revoke my 'wandering ban', as she calls it.

"Hmph. You try to convince me as such every time we leave for the markets, but like usual, I have decided against letting you roam around freely. I can't have mother yell at me like she did that day..." Eydis stared off into the distance, as if she was caught in a trance that clouded her eyes and slowed her breathing. This was usual for Eydis, she'd never seemed to be able to keep her concentration in line with what was happening in the current moment.

"Fine, but you do realise that you are incapable of controlling me like you think you can, right?"

"Sigrid, do not test me."

The way Eydis pierced me with her infamously stern glare stopped my mouth from talking any more. I hate when she does that.

"Will you two please stop, can we just leave now?" Astrid whined, leaning impatiently on the door frame.

Eydis snatched her small coin bag from the white wooden table in front of her, "Yes, we may. Come, Sigrid, don't want you getting lost do we?"

I rolled my eyes at her as a response.