The Death of Me

I looked around at everyone, examining each person. As I got towards the fireplace, I locked eyes with the woman with the cane. She had a grim, evil, bitter look on her face. I couldn't tell what she was thinking, I just knew she didn't like me.

"My arrival here was crucial to the survival of civilized life on earth."

I tried to wrap my mind around the fact that the apocalypse was going on. I still couldn't remember what happened or how I got here. I didn't entirely listen to what Langdon was saying, but I did hear him say the other safe places as our's were massacred.

"In the knowledge that this very moment might occur, we built a fail safe— the Sanctuary."

"The sanctuary?" Coco looked and sounded as though this was some joke.

"The sanctuary is unique." Langdon continued. "It has certain security measures that will prevent overruns."

One of the three intimidating women, the older one with slicked back hair, asked for details about such measures. But Langdon said they were classified.

"All that matters is that the Sanctuary will survive so that the people populating it will survive so that humanity will survive."

"Who are the people populating it?" Andre chimed in.

"Also classified." Langdon quickly stated once more. "However, I have been sent to determine if any of you are worthy and fit to join us. The Cooperative has developed a particular and rigorous questioning technique we like to call, cooperating." His words were so condescending I really did think he was pulling dick. "I will then use the information gained to determine if you belong."

"What is this? The Hunger Games?" Coco retorted. "This is bullshit. I paid my way in here and that is the only cooperating I plan on doing."

It did sound like bullshit. You're either born to survive, or you're not?

"You don't have to sit for questioning." Langdon calmly answered.

"What happens if we choose not to?" Andre asked.

"Then you stay here and die." His voice instantly changed.

"I volunteer to go first." Gallant quickly raised his hand.

"And so you shall."

I couldn't stand it. This was worse than the Hunger Games. At least they had a healthy standing community remaining, not this!

Langdon tried to reassure those who turned out to not be fit for the sanctuary... by reassuring them a pill that would put you to sleep forever.

Suicide. That's what he was suggesting if the cannibals raided our space. Kill yourself. How caring.

"I look forward to meeting each and every one of you." He held the transparent capsule of pills with an evil smile plastered on his face, then began his way out.

"Gia," Langdon turned and looked at me. "I want to speak to you after today's interviews."

I nodded my head and made my way to the stairs to go to my room. As much as I didn't want to, I didn't have much of a choice. What was I going to do? Say no?

Coco and Evie argued over Gallant's choice to volunteer. I ignored the bickering and left.

I sat on the bed anxiously for awhile, I'm not sure how long. I sat in place quietly, trying to remember anything. I took another look around the dark room. It was so dull and empty. It was a physical representation of how I felt— trapped.

"Gia?" Gallant came into my room once again. "How are you doing?"

"I'm great." I responded sarcastically. He chuckled at me. "Can you please explain to me what happened and what we're doing here? Some of us are apparently going to die."

"Well," he came and sat beside me. "we were bombed. We survived, I mean, others survived too. Just... not like us."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"We were saved from all the chemicals and near death. Some people survived, but are living outside covered in welts and cancer. They're contaminated." Gallant's expressions were full of disgust.

"So, how did we get here?" I needed to know.

"I know how we got here. I don't know how you got here." Gallant gestured his hands oddly. "You were brought here yesterday. They carried you in. You were passed out."

"Explains why I woke up on the floor." I mumbled.

"You don't remember?" He asked.

"Quite frankly, I don't remember anything but my name. I have this huge scar on the back of my head." I gently felt the scar again. I was tempted to pull the stitching's out.

Gallant moved my head with his right hand to see where my scar was. He parted my hair to find what I was feeling at.

"Oh dear god." He said. "No kidding about huge. And you don't remember what happened?"

I shook my head. I was trying to recollect any memory I could, but my mind remained blank.

"You met with Langdon." I changed topics. Gallant sat back down with a smirk plastered on his face.

"He's something else." He was smiling so happily to himself.

"What'd he ask?" I asked.

"Nothing complicated. Don't sweat it just because he wants to question you last." He shrugged. "Just don't be spicy with him."

"Oh gosh. You too?" I rolled my eyes. He chuckled and got up to leave my room.

"You can come join us you know? We've been here for eighteen months. If we have to be here for another eighteen, you might as well get acquainted."

I didn't want to get acquainted. I wanted to leave. I wanted to remember what I can't. I don't know if I even have a family. If I do, they're most likely dead. This place was depressing. Jail cells were brighter than this.

"Gia." The familiar voice called demanding from outside my door, which opened. It was the woman with the cane. "We didn't get the chance to meet. I see you are finally awake. I would be the one to lay down the rules, but Langdon requested that he be the one to ...settle you in." She turned on her feet but stopped after one step. "Are you coming or not?"

I followed after her slowly, not wanting to get close to her. It was a quick trip downstairs to one of the rooms. We stopped in front of large doors that looked like a wall. The lady turned and faced me. She locked her sight on me again as she knocked on the large door twice. The doors slid open, revealing a whole other room. Sitting at a desk was Langdon. The lady started off, but I stopped her by gently placing my hand on her arm. She looked down at my hand with her same bitter expression.

"I- I didn't got your name." I said a bit nervously, regretting laying a hand on her.

"Her name is irrelevant." Langdon responded. The lady slowly lifted her head and looked at me. I removed my hand, not wanting to continue to overstep myself any further.

"Venable." She answered and continued off.

I looked into the room where Langdon stood in the center, waiting for me. I made my way in. As I took several steps in, the doors slid closed by itself. What the fuck is happening? There's clearly no power in this place. I examined Langdon as he did the same back.

"Come. Sit." He gestured to the desk. I made my way to the opposite seat I found him in. He had sat in his seat and clasped his hands together. We stared at each other for a few seconds. His energy was uncomfortable.

"You're nervous." Langdon raised an eyebrow. "Don't be. I won't hurt you."

"Most people who intend on hurting you say they won't hurt you." I retorted. He just laughed at me.

"I won't hurt you if you don't hurt me."

"Vice versa." I had to hold back being a smart ass to him. "So are you going to ask me any questions to see if I'm fit?"

"No." He simply answered.

"No?" I looked at him in disbelief.

"You're worthy."