Chapter 4

Gabby

I'd like to consider myself a strong person, but at the age of eighteen, who the hell knew what strong is? My mom died six years ago. Cancer is a bitch. That left me, and my younger brother Alex, with our abusive alcoholic dad of the year. He wasn't too bad towards Alex, thank God. Unfortunately, he liked to take out his anger, and anything else he was feeling, on me. Sometimes I would think it's because I look just like our mother. Other times, I had no idea why he did what he did.

As soon as I turned sixteen, I had enough money saved up from babysitting so I could buy a car. It was a cheap car, yeah, but I could drive Alex around and, honestly, I just wanted to stay away from the house. The more I tended to stay away from my father, the less angry he seemed. My plan was to get through high school, try to go to college, and as soon as Alex turned 18, we coukd share a place together and actually try a shot at being happy.

Happy? I didn't even remember what happy was anymore. Lately school had been an escape for me. Something to keep me distracted from everything going on in my life. I've unfortunately picked up the habit of smoking cigarettes. Let's just say...it helped.

One new stressor in my life was the quarterback of the football team at my high school. Hayden Price. For three years we've been at the same school, and not once has he even looked in my direction. Oh, but I've seen him. As one of the most popular guys in school, I've seen him with different girls on his arm, sometimes at the same time. I don't know why he is involving Alex, or myself, in his high school drama.

I thought back to our conversation at the coffee shop. I didn't know why I offered the extra seat to him. I didn't know why I started a conversation with him. And I definitely didn't know why I was asking what his dreams were. I don't know where my head was or why I even felt a little bad for him by his expression when he walked into the shop. Maybe it was because I see that same expression in the mirror every morning.

A chime from my cell phone brought my thoughts back to the present. I looked down and saw it was from Alex.

Alex: He's out.

That text meant one thing. Our dad was now passed out on the couch, and would remain that way for the next three hours. I've been parked outside in my car waiting for him to pass out so I could come inside, shower, and get a new change of clothes.

Thank God for UberEats. If it wasn't for that job, I wouldn't be able to pay for the nights I stay at the motel down the street. If it helped keep Alex safe, I would do anything. I waited another five minutes before grabbing my bag and sneaking through the back door... just in case. I made my way upstairs, not even bothering to get any food, and went straight to my bedroom.

As I imagined, Alex was waiting for me. In hushed tones he said, "He should be out for a while. Why don't you stay for a little bit? I can make us something to eat and then you can shower and get ready for the bonfire."

Right, the bonfire. I can't say I wasn't surprised when Mr. Golden Boy tried not so subtly to ask me to go to the bonfire. I do remember feeling something when he asked me. Something... Good? I couldn't explain it. But it felt like, at least for those few minutes in the coffee shop, that all of the ugly in my life just disappeared.

Alex cleared his throat, clearly realizing I got lost in thought. "Well?"

This kid knew how hard it was for me to say no to him. Sighing in defeat, I sat on my bed and gave him a smile. "Sure, what the hell?"

It might be good to have a night out.

***

I took a quick, albeit very much needed shower, before going back to my room and getting dressed. Alex knocked on the door lightly and came in with two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. This became our go-to meal now. You didn't have to use the microwave or stove and you didn't make any noise when you made it.

"Thank you," I said to him as I took the plate. "How was football?"

His face lit up immediately, clearly the advice I gave him to join over the summer paid off. Not only was it a distraction for him, but it was actually something he liked.

"It was awesome! I love playing with Hayden. He actually threw me a few passes. And get this, I scored a touchdown!"

I smiled at his excitement even though I was still worried about Hayden's motives for getting Alex back on the team. "Well, I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's good for you."

Alex was quiet for a minute before he started fidgeting with the crust on his PB&J. Something he did often when he was nervous about telling me something. "You know, Hayden isn't all that bad."

I scoffed at that and laid back on the bed. "Yeah, right. I've gone to school with him for three years and believe me, I know exactly who Hayden Price is."

"Don't you believe that people can change?"

My brother, still the optimist. Honestly, I wish I did believe that. But our father has not changed for the better in almost seven years. And I knew for a fact he wasn't going to anytime soon. "People are who they are, Alex. It's just the way it is."

I shot up when a noise from downstairs scared the hell out of both of us. Alex looked at me with a panicked expression before grabbing my bag of clothes and shoving it against me. "Quick, out the window," he whispered to me.

I grabbed the bag from him and went straight to the window. Luckily, this wasn't my first time, and the air conditioning unit was right underneath my window.

"Alex!" My father's voice grew louder, and we could tell he was coming up the stairs now.

I looked at Alex and gave him the silent message that I'll see him later today, and to call me if there were any problems. I jumped out of the window and landed on the air conditioner before running to my car. I'm sure Alex is already in his room by now, pretending to be doing homework. I just hoped my father believed it.

I was breathing hard as I got in my car. I waited a few minutes before turning it on, not wanting to draw attention to myself even though I parked a little ways down the street. I heard the sound of glass breaking and I rested my head on the steering wheel. Something had to be done about this, but I didn't know what to do. I didn't want my brother to end up in the foster system.

So far, he hasn't laid a hand on my brother, only me. With Alex, he tends to just throw things and yell. So...I stayed away. I waited a few more minutes until my father stopped yelling. Finally. I started my car and drove to the motel.

If I was being completely honest with myself, I didn't really want to go back to that motel right now. I needed a distraction. Before I realized it, I was heading towards the park.