Chapter 5: The Return

I slept again, this time waking up in a sweat. My mouth was unbearably dry, as were my eyes. I was hungry. I couldn't remember the last time I ate. I didn't know how long it had been since the first time I woke up in this room. Hours? Days? I searched the room. There were no windows in here, just four metallic walls, a cabinet, chair, monitor, bed, IV stand, and a sink.

I heaved myself out of bed, wobbling on my good foot. They must have given me more painkillers because it felt tolerable to stand. I limped to the sink, turned the knob, and stuck my face in the spray. I hobbled back over to the bed, wondering if anyone was coming for me. I had to pee but there was no sign of a toilet.

I looked at the dome of the security camera that hung from above the doorway.

"Hello?" I waved, simultaneously hoping that someone was watching, and hoping that no one was watching, because that'd be creepy. "Hello? Anybody there?"

I waited a few minutes. It felt like an eternity. I really couldn't ignore my bladder anymore. I stood up again grunting with effort. I tried the door and to my surprise, it was unlocked. So I wasn't their prisoner anymore. I felt some relief at that. I poked my head out and found that the corridor was empty.

Only a few yards to the left of my door was another door marked as the bathroom. It was a single toilet in a small room, with a tiny stand-up shower and a sink. No mirror. With some athleticism and luck, I emptied my bladder without falling off the toilets or peeing on myself. I drank once more from the sink, praying that it was potable water.

I wanted answers. I was going straight to Director Fury. I didn't care about his busy schedule. He owed me an explanation. Back in the corridor, I made my slow painful way to the elevator.

I was only halfway to the end of the hall and breathing hard. I didn't know how I was going to make it the rest of the way. I wiped at my face. And here I thought I was in good shape.

Another few minutes and I began to feel irritated. Why would they leave me to fend for myself? My irritation skyrocketed when the elevator wouldn't open for me. Apparently, you had to have clearance. I searched down the wall to see if there was some kind of map. Nothing.

My leg was really beginning to hurt again. I was tired, but I pushed myself. Ballet hurt a lot of the time, and I loved ballet. This wasn't any worse than losing toenails during Nutcracker season. I gritted my teeth and hopped down the next section of the wall. And the next. Until I found a stairwell. I wiped my sweaty hands on my pants and turned the handle. It was unlocked and better yet, inside was a screen with an interactive map.

It had a search function, and I typed in the place I expected the director of an aircraft to be: the bridge.

It responded: Authorization code?

I slammed my hand against the screen. It gave a tiny blip, then returned to the search function. I rested my head against the wall and closed my eyes. It seemed that I was stuck on this level until someone with a badge could give me clearance. I could either make my way back to my bed and wait, or

I typed in cafeteria

Mess Hall?

Yes

Print receipt?

Yes

I took the printed directions with excitement. I tried the door to the stairwell and the doorknob turned freely. I peeked inside and listened for steps. Nothing.

I climbed two flights of stairs on my butt and hobbled down another hall until I smelled garlic and onion cooking. I practically drooled. I made it to a large room with tables, mostly vacant, and a wall of windows presenting what looked like a sunrise. Morning then.