Chapter 3: Human Writes

"WHAT? He is lying!" I pointed at Dr. Banner.

Banner shrugged. "Blood doesn't lie."

I shook my head in disbelief. "This is some sort of..." I didn't know how to finish. What was it? A sick joke? Psychological torture? "You have to believe me."

Banner looked at me like I was a lunatic. Arms crossed and brow furrowed, Steve looked like he was trying to decide who to believe.

"What else could I be?" I said desperately, almost hysterically. "An alien?" They didn't even smile.

"Oh my God. How is this happening? What did I do to deserve this? First Loki, now you two. Look. My name is Siri Eisen. I'm from Aspen Colorado. I've lived there since I was like three. I dance with Aspen Santa Fe Ballet. I have a dog named Bilbo. You can look all of that up and see I am not lying."

"I think she's telling the truth," Steve said. His expression had changed from one filled with doubt to one filled with pity.

"Okay but," Banner said pointing to the display. "Science."

"I'm not an alien!" I yelled in frustration. My eyes filled again with tears. "I don't understand what is happening. Please, I have to get home. My mom will be worried. Please just let me go." I started crying in earnest, completely overwhelmed.

I felt the bed move and an arm around my shoulders again. I was torn between pushing him away again and needing someone on my side.

"Siri, right?" Steve said. "It's going to be alright. We'll figure this out."

I didn't know how he would figure any of this out, but I let him kept his arm around me until I stopped crying. I was freezing and if I closed my eyes I could almost imagine he actually cared about me.

"Aren't you supposed to be restraining the prisoner, not comforting her?" A new voice said.

I looked up just as another man stepped into the small room. This one I recognized immediately. Anyone in the world would: Tony Stark. My stomach flip-flopped painfully. He thought I was the enemy.

Steve stood defensively. "Aren't you supposed to be finding the cube?"

"Can't. Not without my lab partner." Stark pointed at Banner. "He ditched me."

"Yeah, sorry. I was curious. Come look at this," Banner said.

"Siri Eisen," Stark tutted after reading the display. "You've been keeping secrets."

My mouth fell open and I felt my face flush in embarrassment. The most famous person I could think of knew my name.

"You know me?"

"Not exactly. I know of you. Walter worked for my Father. Stark Industries likes to keep up with their current and former employees. Speaking of which, does daddy know you come from a different planet?"

"My Walter?" I stumbled over what he was saying.

"Who's Walter?" Steve asked.

"My Stepdad."

"Does Coulson know you're in here?" A woman, this time, entered the rapidly crowding room. She wore black leather and short red hair and commanded the space around her with quiet confidence.

"What Coulson doesn't know won't kill him," said Stark, waving a hand.

"Actually..." the woman's eyes brows rose dangerously.

"What doesn't Coulson know?" Yet another person peeked around the door—a middle-aged man in a suit.

"Speak of the devil," Tony said.