Twenty

The first thing I noticed about Harry were his eyes.

They weren't black.

They were a dim grey color, and the difference was so noticeable, that I couldn't stop staring at him for a few moments.

He didn't use his powers to take us back to his place. Instead, we were on the large mountain that overlooked Hell, the one where I witnessed the burning pit.

The sky seemed to be more of a crimson color, and it was darker than I remembered.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked quietly.

Harry didn't look like he once did. Something was wrong with him.

"My powers aren't regenerating." Harry said, and his voice trembled. I saw that even his hands were shaking.

"Why not?"

"I'm not sure."

"I run to you, Lord,

for protection.

Don't disappoint me.

You do what is right,

so come to my rescue.

Listen to my prayer

and keep me safe.

By me mighty rock,

the place

where I can always run

for protection.

Save me by your command!

You are my mighty rock

and my fortress."

Someone was praying loudly at the burning pit. It was a man. His voice was loud and wailing, and I heard the desperation.

"Why is he in Hell?" I asked.

"The man praying?"

"Yes. He's saying a prayer. Why is he here?"

"He was a man who abused his wife and daughter. He was addicted to alcohol. He lived a life of misery. He was raised a Christian, but strayed from his faith as he succumbed to his desires."

"His faith seems true now."

Harry frowned. "It's no coincidence that people who are sent here suddenly become devout Christians, Avery. Like I've said before, they're scared, and -"

"-how can they not be scared? I've always been taught that Christianity is about forgiveness. I've always heard that even in the darkest of times, if you pray, things will look up. If you hope for forgiveness and redemption, you will have a chance to become a better person."

"This is Hell. There is no redemption."

I let my eyes stray out over the crimson sky and lowered them to the pit of fire. The demons were openly laughing at the man's prayer, and he refused to look at them.

"Come and save me, Lord God,

from vicious and cruel

and brutal enemies!

I depend on you,

and I have trusted you

since I was so young.

I have relied on you

from the day I was born.

You brought me safely

through birth,

and I always praise you."

"So we're all doomed to remain here for the rest of eternity?" I whispered. "To be tortured for our sins?"