Chapter Nine

Bay left the dining room just as a few late-lunchers walked in. Bay felt like he needed some fresh air. He'd just refilled his teacup and was ready for a stroll around the grounds.

Bay slipped out the rear door of the mansion and walked down a slate-stone walkway to the gardens. The seasons were turning, but today was still unusually cool.

Bay sipped his tea and wandered off the path. It wasn't aimless wandering, though. He was headed somewhere. He walked passed herb gardens, taking in the heady sent of rosemary. Rosemary for protection; rosemary for remembrance. That's what his mother'd always said. Bay's mother was a green witch and was very into her herbs. She'd even named her only son Bay because the herb brought prosperity and protection--two things she wanted for her child.

Maybe his name had worked last night. Who knows?

Bay observed spent flowers and the last of the roses as he wandered. Finally his feet took him where he wanted to go. It was an ash tree near the cliffs.

The view of the sea from under the tree was breath taking. He'd sat here many times with Equinox and just chatted like best mates. Noxy would sometimes sketch the sea. Sketching was one of Noxy's many coping mechanisms, and he was very good at it.

Bay's mother had taught Bay to draw herbs and flowers for grimoires, so he was ok with that--but his landscapes sucked ass pretty hard.

That's where Noxy excelled. His sketches of the ocean were so realistic one could almost hear the waves rushing in and out with the tides. Bay looked out at the sea in a deeply pensive state.

Last night in the Common Room had been . . .he wasn't sure what emotions to attach to  last night. It felt wonderful to feel Noxy's loving touch, felt great to return it. But now he wondered. Was it a mistake?

No one even knew he fancied Equinox--or men at all--but he was pretty sure Equinox now realized it.

Was it a mistake? Did Equinox think it was a mistake? He'd taken his hand away so quickly.

Bay laid his head back on the trunk of the ash and took a deep breath. The sent of the salty sea mixed with earth and the bark of the tree. He could smell the new season coming upon them. He took a long sip of his tea, the warmth was soothing.

Autumn was his favorite time of year. Mabon, Samhain, his mother celebrated the Sabbats with much enthusiasm, but the autumn held her favorites. Bay reminisced a moment on thoughts of his mother's soul cakes before the crashing sounds of the sea brought him back.

Bay'd always invited Noxy to the Sabbats all through their childhood and teens. Noxy's family didn't really celebrate anything, only giving the feeblest attempts at acknowledging Yule and Christmastime.

When the two boys had been celebrating Samhain at Bay's house as teenagers, Bay asked Noxy why his family didn't celebrate. Noxy had scoffed and wryly commented in semi-dark tones that his family felt too elite to do something as common as celebrate a Sabbath.

Bay bit his lips as he thought about how unhappy Noxy's home life had been.

Bay remembered the awkward visits to the London mansion Noxy called home. Bay also remembered the clinical feeling in the air of the huge house.

Whenever Bay visited, Noxy was always up in his room with headphones on his ears either reading or drawing. He always seemed like an outsider in his own home. The only other sibling Noxy had was a sister, Abraxas.

Abraxas was very pretty--or at least the magazine version of pretty--but seemed made of glass. Like she was a cold shell that would shatter if forced to be warm. But even with her icy glances as Bay entered the house, her brittle smile as the butler led Bay to Noxy's room, she was still more welcoming then Noxy's parents.

Bay didn't even know Noxy's parents' names. They only wished to be called Mr. and Mrs. De Blanc by "the little Mick in flip-flops" as they called him.

Once Mr. De Blanc made the error of calling Bay that particular epitaph in front of Noxy, and a huge row broke out. Equinox yelled at his father for being an "ignorant, elitist, bigot".

Mr. De Blanc said he didn't need to let the "snubbed-nose Irish pixie" in his house, grabbing Bay's arm to lead him out. As soon as Mr. De Blanc touched Bay, Noxy lunged at his father.

That's when his father wasted no time turning around as if to strike his own son. Indigo magick started oozing from Noxy's palms. Bay leapt in-between them, trying to calm the makings of a straight up brawl.

Noxy stormed out of the mansion house into the backyard. Knocking over lawn furniture, Equinox marched away as if to the sound of a bassline only he could hear. Out of the gated estate and into the streets he went. Bay struggled to keep up as he trotted behind his best friend, his flip-flops tsking as they slapped grass then cement.

The two teens stood on the sidewalk, the passing cars oblivious to their emotions. Bay'd been hurt by Mr. De Blanc's words, but he laid a hand on Noxy's leather jack clad shoulder. He told Noxy it didn't really matter.

Equinox snapped and yelled that it did  in fact fucking matter. Equinox immediately looked crest fallen as shock flashed on Bay's face.

Equinox apologized to Bay for sounding sharp.

I'm mad at him, not you. I could never be mad at you.

Bay could tell Noxy was pushing back hot tears.

Bay slowly wrapped both arms around his friend. Pulling him close, Bay whispered comfort in Noxy's ear.

I know. . . I know.

Equinox's hair had been short back then, and he laid the side of his gel-spiked head in the crook of Bay's neck. It was so warm, so comforting. For some reason it felt like home. 

That's when some of the passing cars decided to notice the two teenage guys on the sidewalk. Some cars beeped their horns.

When Bay and Noxy turned and looked up at the honking vehicles, the passengers were snickering and one man waved mockingly.

Bay blushed and Equinox's brow creased in anger. He gently pulled away from Bay, shoved his hands in the pockets of his torn black jeans, and clomped away, the small chains on his black boots jingled as he strode away.

Bay heard Noxy mutter "society sucks" as he strutted off.

Bay paused for a moment, then slowly followed in his friend's footstep 'til he found Noxy sitting on a bench, staring at the ground.

Later when Bay heard the story of Noxy's fight with his father through the grapevine--as told by his parents--it was all twisted. Noxy was the sole problem. Mr. De Blanc had just been talking to Bay when Noxy lashed out at his father with anger over "some simple misunderstanding".

Bay wanted to set the records straight, but he was afraid it would only make things worse for Noxy. He walked away wondering what kind of parents tried to make themselves sound like the eternal victim and their son the eternal villain.

What kind of parents indeed.