Chapter 2

A/N: The story will now be told by the reader's POV. Here's a photo to describe the area the reader is currently in.

"I said let go of me!" Shifting violently in the blonde's hold, I simply could not break free

"Or else what?" A whisper tickled my earlobe, chills running down along the spine. Terror sucked the very breath from my mouth. These were no ordinary villains, no, they were a true and terrifying threat to everyone.

The tallest buildings reduced to rubble. Hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians murdered. Earth's mightiest heroines, slain. Nowhere was safe, not with these boys still roaming the Earth.

"We asked you a question!" Butch raised his voice, a fresh swell of rage rising within him.

A feeling of dread crept up from the pit of my stomach. " I don't really k-"

'SLAP'

Before I knew it, a palm smacked my cheek leaving behind a stinging pain. Tears swelled in my eyes, a sudden wave of fury crashing through me. "Maybe that'll make you speak better." Brick took full responsibility of the assault, his lips pulled into a devilish smirk.

Anger boiled within me. "I'm sorry was that supposed to hurt?" Of course it stung, but no way was I going to allow them to see right through me.

"Huh?" The hand on her throat would loosen up, the oncoming oxygen replenishing her lungs. Even Boomer was stunned by the girl's sudden boost in confidence. Nobody has ever spoken like that to Brick.

"Now who's the quiet one?" The final ounce of confidence finally slipped away. Realization hit, and it hit hard.

The leader stood still, almost as if he was flustered?

"Oooh, she told you off." Brick glanced over at his brothers. They began to laugh in his face, holding their stomachs with one hand and pointing at Brick with the other.

Fear overcame me once again. Pushing his buttons was far from a good idea.

"WILL YOU TWO SHUT UP?!" Brick's blaring voice echoed through the empty streets, fury lacing his words. This only made the taunting laughter even worse. They held their stomach struggling to catch their breath.

This was my chance, my ticket to freedom. I took one step back. They didn't notice. Meanwhile the two brothers were howling with laughter, Brick was just about ready to knock some sense into them. In a literal way.

Now taking faint, subtle steps back on the pavement a, noticable gap grew between me and the boys. Just a little more.

Adrenaline pumped through my veins, making my heartbeat quicken. Within moments I stood in the corner of the street, the fresh wind of the night rolling through the empty streets. With that I made my escape running, no, sprinting around the corner.

The faint shine of the streetlamps above guided me through the soot-black night. The bottoms of my feet scorched with pain but I didn't stop running, I had no choice but to push past this if I valued my life.

I went on and on for what seemed and eternity, not even daring to look back for a moment.

'BOOOMMM'

An ear-splitting explosion shook the Earth. To the sound of the explosion came the terrible echo as if it were the anguished cry of God. The sudden impact made me lose my balance, and as a result I was brought down to my knees. The cement grazed my delicate skin, a burning sensation now flooding down my legs. My ears felt like they were stuffed with cotton.

Three neon lights spiraled into the clear night sky.

"Oh shoot.." I whispered to myself knowing exactly who the culprits were. Not far from me there lay an empty alleyway. Not my first choice but it was better than staying out here in the open. I stood up to my feet, drops of warm blood streaming down my knees.

I quickly took cover in the alleyway hoping they didn't see me from afar.