Chapter 3

I trudged into the class where detention is held at reluctantly. This is all Ethan's fault. If he hadn't started tapping the back of his pen against the table, I wouldn't have been annoyed. If I wasn't so annoyed, I wouldn't have spoken. If I hadn't spoken, Ethan wouldn't have stood up for me. If he didn't stand up for me, neither of us would have to sit inside a stuffy classroom miserably for today. So, it all boils down to Ethan. Gosh, how much I hate that guy.

Let's not get started on Danielle. She's been shooting daggers at me ever since Ethan tried standing up for me in class and tried to make me trip when I walked past her. It's like she's jealous that Ethan and I have to spend time with each other for a whole two hours. If she wanted to spend some time alone with Ethan, I'd be more than happy to trade places with her. It's not like I have a secret crush on Ethan or anything. It's not like I will ever fancy him. If I did, the world must be coming to an end because I will never, ever, ever, fall for Ethan, especially him. 

When I walked into class, I noticed that Ethan was already sitting down there waiting patiently, so was Mrs. Brown.

"Ah, Ms Davis, right on time. Have a seat and let the detention begin! Remember the rules - No talking!" Mrs Brown announced as if this whole detention thing was a game show. I took a seat nearest to the window, the furthest away from Ethan who sat at the other side of the classroom.

Much to my annoyance, Ethan practically stood up and moved to sit in the seat next to mine very quietly just so Mrs Brown wouldn't notice the shifting of seats. He placed a sticky note on my desk.

I'm sorry okay, I really am. -E

I ignored the note and was doodling stuff in my sketchbook when another note from fill-in-the-blank came in. I don't even want to say his name. He just makes me so damn angry saying his name, hearing someone say his name, or thinking about him. Not like I care about him anyway.

I didn't know how much detention meant to you. -E

At this point, I was getting really annoyed and figured that if I replied, Ethan would probably stop bothering me and finally leave me alone.

Of course you wouldn't know! You don't even know anything about me. -A

This made him rather quiet for the rest of detention. Feeling contented, I continued drawing till the end of detention while Ethan did who knows what.

"Alright. The two of you can leave now but I'll be seeing you two again tomorrow. Same time same place," Mrs. Brown finally said when the clock struck 3.

"Huh? Wasn't it just for today?" I raised an eyebrow.

"I'm not as blind as you think, children. Passing notes in class is considered talking. So both of you, tomorrow too."

I groaned internally realizing that I have to go for detention again with none other than idiotic Ethan! Why couldn't he have just shut up and not stand up for me? That way, I would only have to spend an hour of detention without him. Now, I even have to spend another two agonizing hours with him. Again.

"Ashley, wait!" Ethan called out to me as I rushed out of class and walked down the halls. He ran after me and grabbed my hand, spinning me around to face him.

"Where're you going?" he asked.

"Trying to get away from you, idiot. Duh. Can't you get the hint?" I glared at him.

"Okay, look, I'm really sorry Ashley. I really truly am and if you would give me a chance, I would like to get to know you."

"Why? Why would you, Mr. Popular Guy, want to hang out with a geek, like me?" I asked, raising my eyebrows. Why would a guy like him, want to get to know a girl like me? This is just unbelievable. Totally insane.

"Because you're pretty darn interesting. You don't care about your looks or your status. You're not like the other girls."

"Should I be flattered?"

"Yeah you should be. So anyway, is that a yes or a no?"

"Hmm let me think. Yeah, no" I replied.

He didn't say anything, just stood there, probably wondering if I had actually just rejected him.

"I guess I'm the first one to reject you, huh?" I laughed. "Sorry to burst your bubble, Ethan, but not everyone will say yes to you," I said as I turned to walk away.

Suddenly, Ethan wrapped his arms around my waist with my back facing him,pulling me back, causing me to blush.

"Just say yes, please Ashley," he whispered, his warm breath tickling my ear, making me even more flustered than I already am.

"N-no," I stuttered.

"Why?"

"I-I don't know. I just don't want to."

"Please, Ashley. Just once. I'll do anything.

"Anything? Like literally anything?" A plan was already forming in my head.

"Yeah, anything."

"Fine then." Finally, he let go of me, making me heave a sigh of relief.

"Great, we can go grab something to eat after detention tomorrow," he said as he winked at me before walking away.

I vaguely remembered the scene from that day. Their winks were exactly the same even after all those years.

"So, I'll probably see you guys around?"

"Yeah, guess so."

"Cool." He gave me a wink.

"Bye!" Danielle waved back cheerfully at him. He waved back

Could this Ethan be that Ethan?