Chapter 6

I stood outside the doors of the school entrance as I waited for Ethan after football practice. After a while, the doors finally opened but instead of finding the person I was looking for, I came face-to-face with the one and only Danielle.

"Well, well, well, look who's here. Oh, it's little Ashley Davis sitting here waiting for someone even though she has absolutely no friends," she sneered. I rolled my eyes at her childishness.

"What do you want, Danielle?" I asked through gritted teeth, plastering a fake smile on my face.

"Ethan, what else? Don't think I haven't noticed that both of you are friends but sooner or later, Ethan will be wrapped around my little finger and will be all mine," she spoke before turning on her heel and walking away.

Waves of anger flowed through me as she spoke her words and I had to hold on to every single ounce of control in me just to keep myself from punching her straight in the face. How can she just throw our friendship away just for popularity. I wanted to make her pay for making my life miserable and leave our friendship in the dust.

Suddenly, the door burst open, snapping me out of my thoughts, and a bunch of footballers who just finished practice, rushed out, obviously walking past me as if I was invisible, which I was to them of course. I soon found Ethan trailing way behind them.

"Hey, you alright? You seem really out of it," I asked him, seeing that he was trudging and wearing a really weary expression on his face.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just that coach drilled us until I can't even feel my legs," he smiled, but it looked more like a grimace.

"You know, I can just cancel today and give you a day to rest. I think you really need it."

"That'll be great. Sorry for making you wait outside for so long. So dinner tomorrow, yeah?" He asked.

"Yep sure! I'll see you tomorrow!" I grinned and walked off.

"Hey, did you see Danielle just now?" He asked me suddenly.

"Um...well yes, I did. Why?

He grew more panicky. "What did she say to you?"

"Something along the lines of that she'll have you wrapped around her little finger soon..." I stared at the look on his face intently, he looked like he was hiding something.

"Ethan," I asked,stepping even closer to him, "What are you hiding from me?"

"Look, it's nothing okay," he said, shaking his head. I shot him a glare. "I just think that...that maybe we should call off this whole revenge thing."

I stared at him wide-eyed and confused. Was this the same Ethan I met five minutes ago? Geez, wasn't it him who had asked if we were having dinner tomorrow to continue planning?

"I mean, what if it doesn't work out and the plan completely backfires, then what do we do? Plus, don't you think you're being immature about this whole revenge thing? Maybe you should start growing up and move on from the fact that Danielle left you," he elaborated further. Honestly, his words cut through me like a knife. He got himself into this mess and there was no way he could just back out, especially when we've already started. Regret flashed through his eyes when he saw my expression.

"Ashley, I'm sorry. I really didn't mean it that way, I just don't want to get it trouble if-" I cut him off.

"Save it. If you're not willing to help me then I'll do it myself," I sneered as I shot him a glare before walking off, ignoring the calls of my name behind me. Deep inside, I wanted him to chase after me and beg for my forgiveness, but he didn't and this wasn't a fairy tale where everything was just another happily ever after.

He's such a coward. I shouldn't have trusted him, I thought as I walked all the way home. I shook my head in a desperate attempt to clear all the thoughts swirling around my mind. Right now, I need to think of a better plan without Ethan.

__________________________

While I was up in my room, I heard rocks being thrown at my window. I groaned internally as I looked over to see no other than Ethan. This whole Romeo & Juliet attempt was way too cliché for me and if this was his "brilliant" idea to get me to forgive him then he's going to have to try a lot harder than that.

"What?" I snapped, glaring at him, dodging a rock that nearly hit my face. He opened and closed his mouth like a goldfish. "If you've got nothing to say-"

"I'm just trying to say sorry. Please, Ash." He was literally on his knees now, looking at me with those sad puppy dog eyes. Oh no, not the eyes. My expression softened. Staring at those eyes could make your heart melt. Match that with his good looks and he was practically irresistible. So, of course, I looked away.

"No."

He sighed. "Ash, look, I'm really really sorry about what happened. But really, I don't want any of us to get into trouble. I mean, you're the good girl and all and you probably have a clean record. You wouldn't want to tarnish that, would you?" He had a point. My record is and has been clean since the day I was born.

"Come on, Ash. Just forgive and forget and let's move on from this, okay?" he

"Yes! The eyes always work," he jumped up in triumph, praising himself for his good looks.

"Yeah, yeah, you got what you want, now go home. It's getting late anyways," I said, rolling my eyes at his inflated ego.

"I love you, Ashley Davis. You are the best person in the world," he yelled as he walked down the path. My heart was beating so rapidly that I was afraid it was gonna beat right out of my chest. Even though those few words meant so much to me, they probably meant nothing to him.