Still Alive

Jordan awoke and found himself in one of the beds the Militia set aside for the injured and sick. He shared a room with two others, both of whom seemed to be in much worse shape than himself. He glanced to his right and found Kiera watching him. Her jacket was off and her left sleeve was rolled up. Her arm had a small bandage on it.

"Hey," he said.

"Hey," she replied.

"What the hell happened?"

"You passed out...Doctor Stanton said you lost a lot of blood. I'm guessing from that." She gestured to the bandaged wound on his abdomen. "She didn't have any blood on standby, so I offered up mine."

"Are we the same blood type?"

"Doesn't matter, I'm O-Negative. When Doc Stanton found that out, she asked if I'd give more blood, I told her I'd have to think about it."

Jordan smiled, "Thank you, really. It seems like I owe you a few at this point."

"Don't worry about it...maybe I like rescuing you."

Jordan tried to move and ceased the action after a wave of pain hit him. "What happened? This is the second time you've gone off on your own and ended up in mortal danger."

Jordan rubbed his head, "I was shot."

Her eyes widened, "How? By who?"

"Long story."

Kiera gestured around them, "I've got time."

Jordan sighed and nodded, "That guy Vanessa brought, Tobias Munn..."

"Yeah?"

"He's been abducted by the HDF. Vanessa told me they were looking for him. I went to his neighborhood and it was a trap. I was surrounded. A man shot me from a helicopter and I...killed him." Jordan stared at the palm of his hand.

"If he shot you, then you shouldn't feel sorry about killing him."

"I still didn't want to."

"What happened after you got shot?"

"I was able to get away. I cauterized my wounds, or else I wouldn't have made it back here. Then I went to Devers, the old man Tobias brought me to. I took him to my old apartment where the HDF won't ever think to look for him."

"You know, you're lucky you didn't pass out while you were driving back here."

"I feel pretty good."

"Most people would probably have died. You're a lot tougher now as an arken. In a couple days, you should be back in tip top shape, minus the burn scars." Kiera stood up, putting her jacket back on.

"I'm sorry about running off again. Are you mad?"

"I'm not mad. I'd just hate to see you get yourself killed, especially after I've gone and saved your ass twice," she smiled. "Get some rest. I'll be back later today."

Now Jordan was alone with the two people sleeping next to him. He noticed his bandages had been recently changed. That was good, the last thing he wanted was for his burns to get infected.

He felt comfortable leaving Devers at his apartment, he would be safe there. He had almost considered bringing the old man here, but he knew he would have trouble. Even if the medical aides could help him, it was better for him to have the comfort of a home. He has everything he needs, Jordan thought, he'll be comfortable and safe for the time being.