-•6; Fireworks•-

-•Chapter 6; Fireworks•-

[River's POV]

I'm laid back in the, now fixed, jeep as they discuss. We are now on the way to a puppet show.

Player speaks up, catching attention. Something about him. I couldn't tell you what, just attracts my attention. I feel my whole world just drop their necessities and focus on him. Is it because he's so easy to mess with? Must be! Right? Obviously! Get a grip Riv.

"Kitty! Cat! River?! RIVER!" He yelled, while the others snickered at my spaced out state. I hiss at them then reply to Player. "What C-3P0? Is it time for another geography lesson?"

"Ouch Kitten, you burn me~ But no, actually. If you weren't daydreaming you'd be able to know. I was actually asking when you last saw fireworks?"

"Well Internet Ex-borer (I'm so sorry). It was actually when I had an argument with my darling siblings." I drag on, fluttering my eyelids to my older siblings. Earning a chuckle from Carmen. I sighed, my eyes dulling slightly. It wasn't her firmest memory. "3 years ago, actually..."

[Flashback 3 years, River's birthday]

A younger River came out of her dance school. Her ginger locks back in a tight bun, her ballet uniform pristine, pastel pink and ironed. She had taken her shoes and tutu off and left them in the academy. As she spotted her siblings, she giggled and ran down the stairs into their arms.

"Zack! Ivy!  You won't believe it! Madam Letrusse has given me the lead for the Swan Lake performance! It's next month! The 12th! You can come right?" Her eyes were full of wonder. The elder siblings looked at each other and sighed.

"We'd love to Riv but.." Ivy began but looked away, a frown plastered on River's face.

"It's another race..isn't it?!" She huffed and felt her eyes watered.

Zack tried to defend them, "Sorry Riv but-"

"No!" She snapped back, tears cascaded down her cheeks. "Since mum and dad left you've missed 12 of my shows. Twelve! And how many shows have I done?! Twelve! Each one they ask if any of my family can give me the flowers! I have to tell them no!" She's now sobbing. They try to touch her, but she runs off. They run after her, but she's fast.

Sitting under an abandoned bridge, she cried. Though, this wasn't her first visit to this bridge. She did do the shows and comps for nothing. No. She had a secret, one that calmed her tears. A little mew came from a dog house. Although it looked as if it could fit a large dog, 3 cats walked out. She spent her prize money on looking after them, Zack and Ivy never let her have cats but she'd be damned if she didn't help them.

One cat, under the name Nick Furry, had a blind eye and that's why, she assumed, he was abandoned. He had a tattered black coat, and was clearly the oldest cat. The next was Mewbacca, the adult cat had a fluffy brown coat. Although he missed a front leg, he was the strongest of the trio. The youngest of the three was a small kitten, he was clearly the runt and treated as such. But boy was he quick, that's why he was given the name, Quicksilver. She loved them dearly and would give her life for them.

The sky was an inky black abyss and rain poured mimicking stars, luring most into a false sense of security. But no, she knew damn well to not trust the horrid surroundings. Ergo why she mothered the cats. Each held a spot on her quivering frame.

As Mewie had the fluffiest body, he resided on her feet to keep them warm and to keep guard. Furry, resided on her chest as for possession. Quicksilver snuggled into her neck. The four of them embraced each other until a loud bang was heard. The cats dug into her skin, making her since.

Her eyes reflects the explosion of colourful metal. She cringed at the noise but traced the patterns of the colours. Each one distracting her from the horrible world.

[back to present]

"So yeah. That's the last time I saw fireworks!" She chuckled softly, no longer affected by the tale. "But boy I still miss those cats."

Everyone was quiet until Player broke it, "what happened to the cats, Cat?"

"..well Furry is no longer with us. He was weak. He's got a memorial there now..I spray painted him on. The other two, I knew needed a better life, and I had to oblige. I couldn't hold the, back. Mewie and Quicksilver I took to a cat shelter, just before I found you guys. I have no idea if they found a home." She spoke, looking up at the sky.

Player tried to cheer everyone up, lightening the mood.

"So the nickname suits you even better now, eh Cat?"

(I'VE POSTED MORE! HAPPY NOW! Not much plot, just some back backstory.)