chapter 3: bow

Eddy was thankful for the easy friendship he had built with Brett over the past few days, but he'd come to realise that Brett was great at lying. Putting up a strong front. Eddy didn't understand how classical musicians work, but guessed that through all the 'practice 40 hours jokes' Brett cracks, Brett must've been missing about 160 hours of practice time right now, and having your bowing hand immobilised would've felt like crap. Eddy wasn't sure what was worse - having your left or right hand immobilised when you play the violin. Brett was looking subtly worse for wear, day after day, and Eddy had had enough. That night when he turned up for night shift, he'd brought his old violin and some sheet music.

This feeling would too be transient.

He took the roll call and report mindlessly, thanking the heavens for how the ward was nicely staffed tonight. Work started at about 8.30pm, and he got to prepare the night medications, and doing some documentation as his patients drifted off to sleep. Well, all except for one. He'd noticed Brett tossing, turning and biting his nails till 1am.

A nurse has got to do what he has got to do, right? Eddy thought. He went to the staff room to fetch the violin and sheet music, and promptly dumped it at the foot of the bed. He figured out Brett had noticed him watching, and currently was putting up a very convincing act of him sleeping. "C'mon buddy, don't lie to me. The last time I did this was when I was 12 and wanted to play my nintendo after lights out." He poked at Brett.

Brett opened his eyes and sighed, "Oh well, guess I've been found out."

"Nurses know everything."

He doesn't know how I feel, because everything will be transient.

Brett sat up in bed, adjusted his glasses, and used his good hand to grab at the items Eddy had brought. A violin. Sheet music. He started tearing up. "Are you okay?" Eddy asked. He sounded afar, and his vision blurred.

When Brett didn't respond, Eddy immediately dropped to his height and made Brett look at him. "Hey. Hey. I'm here. Look at me. What's wrong?". Brett softly choked out, "I haven't been practicing. What happens if I can't use the bow anymore?" He took a glance at the shoulder cuff, immobilising his right arm.

Eddy immediately reassured him, "Nonsense. It'll get well after the repair and you'll just have a few weeks of rehabilitation to do. The team will be here to help you every step of the way - doctors, nurses, physiotherapists. You'll be able to play again in no time.".

"Come on, let's go."

"Go where?" Brett looked up, "aren't I supposed to be sleeping?"

"Well, clearly you can't because you've got so much cooped up inside you. So let's try something and see if it can ease your emotions." Eddy grabbed the violin case and sheet music. Brett got up and followed Eddy.

"But how will I be able to play? I only have one hand." Brett asked as Eddy unlocked the ward's meeting room.

"I'll help you with the bow."

"What?"

"I'll do the bowing, you do the fingering. I'm out of practice, but I'm sure this is better than nothing, right?" Eddy put the mute onto the violin, so that they won't wake anyone up.

"What do you want to play?" Brett asked, only to have the question thrown back at him. "What do YOU want to play?"

"Mozart 4?"

"Okay. Don't expect me to be great at this." Eddy warned as he handed Brett the violin. Brett placed it in position. Eddy struggled to find a good position to stand, such that he won't accidentally move Brett's right shoulder from immobilisation. Finally, Eddy stood behind Brett, his body facing Brett's injury so that he can keep it in sight, and can rest his bow on the strings. Both noticed how close they had to stand in order to play together, but didn't mind the proximity.

They started tuning the violin. The horrific squealing of the old violin shook both Brett and Eddy awake as Brett started to tune the violin.

"Ready?" Brett asked.

"Yeah."

And with that, Brett started fingering the piece by heart. Eddy relied on the sheet music, trying to catch up with Brett and sight read at the same time.

Guess all those music lessons at age 5 aged well.

"That was good - you're still decent at the violin, bro!" Brett exclaimed.

"Nah, I'm just trying to catch up with you - I barely remember how Mozart 4 sounds like."

They played piece after piece, gradually comfortable with each other and sounded smoother with every play. The nurse in Eddy perked up once he noticed that it was already 3am.

"Do you wanna head back and rest? I think you've been practicing for a fair while." Eddy suggested.

"Aw man, didn't get to finish my 40 hours." Brett joked.

"You can always catch up when you're actually healed, I'm sure you will."

"But seriously, thanks for this, and I'm sorry for the trouble. My insecurities always act up, and I didn't want anyone to notice and think I'm ill again." Brett was probably referring to his psychiatric history.

"Bro, it's fine. I'll practice everyday with you if you want. If it'll make you feel better and less nervous about this entire thing. You still have a procedure the day after." Eddy winced at having to deliver the anxiety-ridden information. He also made a mental note that Brett was going for the procedure on his day off.

This too, will be transient.

Brett sighed, "I can't bring myself to trouble you, and I kinda have no choice but to go for it right?"

"It's alright, take it as a friendly offer. I'll leave my violin and sheet music at your bedside, just let me know if you wanna practice." Patient centered care at its finest, Eddy thought. They packed the violin, locked up the room and headed back to Brett's bed.

"Goodnight, Brett."

"Goodnight, Eddy."

With that, Brett nodded off to sleep, putting a very satisfied smile on Eddy's face.