Part 6 - A Bit of Nostalgia

Rose’s POV

        Steven and I have spent two days together since that day in the bar. We’ve talked about almost everything and anything. He explained to me about his dream to open his own shop somewhere. I talked about my career as a designer. He asked questions about Beth, I wanted to know more about Trevor and Billy. Family, friends, and work were the three main topics we ever discussed. Neither one of us would dare to bring up the taboo topic of love.

        He brought me to the shop where he worked. Parts were strewn about all over the place, and there were half a dozen unfinished bikes on tables. Steven had to convince his boss to let me hang around, as long as he promised to get his work done. I watched as he intently worked on the piece of metal before my eyes. As he worked, I couldn’t help but ask a lot of questions. It was so fascinating to see a pile of scrap become a beautiful machine. At one point I was afraid that he would get tired of answering my questions.  

        “I’m sorry if I’m bugging you,” I said, passing him a wrench he was trying to reach.  

        He just smiled at me, a smile I missed seeing. “It’s all good Rosie. I think it’s pretty cool you are so interested. Most girls just think this is dumb,” he answered. As soon as the words were out of his mouth, he froze. Looking at me slowly, a weird expression crossed his face. I nodded my head slightly in reaction to his statement. It didn’t bother me how many girls he had, that was his business. I can’t control his life, just as he can’t control mine.

        “So, what’s this long pipe thingy?” I asked, pointing to a bent and rounded pipe that was resting on the table I was sitting on.

        “That’s the exhaust pipe. I’ll be able to put that on as soon as I get this motor put together.”

        “Is it going to be that dull gray color? Or is it going to get painted?”

        He chuckled. “Once I get everything on, and make sure it all fits properly and works correctly, then I can get it painted in the little shop down the street. I’ve actually got to pick out a color scheme for it still. I haven’t found one that I really like yet,” he said, scratching the back of his head.  

        I smiled. “You know, I did go to art school for a while, I could put something together for you, see if you’d like it. I won’t be offended if you don’t.”

        He straightened from his bent over position. “Really? You’d want to do that?”

        “Of course. I wouldn’t have offered if I didn’t mean it,” I said, laughing lightly.

        He smiled that hundred-watt smile I loved, and said, “Well, I’d really appreciate it Rose. That would save me a lot of time and frustration.”

        “Well, I just hope you like what I come up with.” I grabbed the small sketch pad I always carry with me, just in case an idea pops into my head at random times, and began to scribble down some ideas. We worked in comfortable silence for the next few hours. Him on the bike, me on the color scheme. It was nice, just being around him like this. It made me realize how much I actually missed him the past few years. Sometime over the past week, I realized that a friendship would only ever bloom between us. And I was okay with that now. I guess you could say that I had come to terms with it now.  

 * * *

        “No Beth, I’m serious. How’s everything going down there?” I asked for the thousandth time. I had been back in Illinois for just over a week, and couldn’t believe I had forgotten all about the shop back in North Carolina. Beth was currently being a total jerk, and refused to tell me what was happening. “I am so sorry Beth. Seriously, how could I have forgotten all about it? Why didn’t you remind me or something?”