Chapter 14

As soon as I woke up, I shook the tiredness out of my scales and flew over to Kaliq's tree house. I landed on the windowsill and sat down, curling my tail, tightly around my talons. I only had to wait for a few moments until Kaliq emerged from his bedroom.

"Oh," Kaliq said, startled, "I didn't see you there. Are you here to discuss who's going to be the guards?"

"Yes. I had a few ideas. I was thinking about making Kayla a guard," I paused and watched for Kaliq's reaction. He nodded, thoughtfully before frowning.

"Who is Kayla again? I don't think I've ever seen her before." Kaliq questioned.

"Kayla is dark red with lighter stripes on her wings. She usually is surveying the edges of the forest, even though we've told her many times that it is safe."

"Oh yes, her cautiousness would be very useful." Kaliq mused.

"The only other guard that I had in mind would be Logan. He is orange with white stripes and was a..." I trailed off as I realized that Kaliq wouldn't understand human terms.

"What was he?" Kaliq prompted, not noticing why I stopped.

"A bodybuilder," I finally said, staring at him to see if he understood.

"What? Did he build bodies?" Kaliq asked, very confused.

"No," I laughed to myself and replied, "He used different exercises to strengthen his core muscles."

Understanding flashed across Kaliq's features, "Yes, I understand now and I also agree. That would be very useful."

I nodded and answered, "I don't have anymore ideas on who could guard. Do you?"

Kaliq paused for a moment before finally saying, "No, I don't really know anyone here, so I can't really assign anyone to guard."

An awkward silence fell over us and I shifted around, uncomfortably. I looked down at my talons and flexed them before I looked back up.

"I guess I should go now. Well I - I - can I - no, but - I - I," I stuttered, "Is Link doing okay?"

Kaliq smiled, "He is beginning to get better, but he still has a long way to go to be fully recovered."

I grinned, relieved, "I guess I should be going now."

Kaliq nodded and moved away from the table. I flapped out my wings and jumped into the air. I did a sharp 180 and flew out of the window.

I climbed higher and higher into the sky until the trees were like small dots on the ground. I continued to flap my wings in a leisurely manner and pondered over the thoughts that raced through my head, "Will Link make it? Will the guards help? Will we be safe here? Are more going to get hurt?"

The thoughts swirled around my mind in a jumbled mess until it made me dizzy and I nearly fell out of the air. I shook the thoughts out of my head before I actually fell.

I made my way back to the den. I landed and crept in. Drake was curled up into a ball but looked up as I made my way in.

"Where's Zelda and Mipha?" I asked, once I saw they weren't there.

"I made them go and play with the others. They knew something bad happened, but I decided not to tell them about their brother. That it would be better if they thought their brother was off playing with his friends." Drake sighed, looking down.

"Kaliq and I figured out a plan. He said Link is doing better." I reassured him.

Drake took in a deep breath before determination settled in his eyes. He stood up and shook himself out.

"Crying isn't going to help. I need to do something." Drake growled.

"You can be a guard if you want? I'm going to be backup if anything bad happens." I suggested.

"Okay, I'll be a guard." Drake nodded.

"Tomorrow is when we will start the guards, so I suggest you go to sleep after the Night song."

"Yeah, I'll make sure to."

I decided to go and find Zelda and Mipha to make sure everything was okay, so I left Drake back in the den, where he looked deep in thought, and flew over the treetops, looking for my children.

I smiled once I found them. They were playing with another group of hatchlings and looked to be playing some form of tag.

I landed next to another pair of Teekas who were watching them play.

"Oh hey Zoey." One of them greeted, they were a boy named Vincent. Vincent was one of the original Teekas that were left and used to be a musician when he was a human. He wasn't that used to change and when he became a Teekas he was very afraid and I was one of the people to help calm him down. We had become good friends, but then he fell in love with Rose, his mate and he began to chase after her instead of spending time with me.

"Vincent..." I trailed off, not sure what I should say to him.

"Zoey, I'm sorry I left you, so I could chase after Rose. I wasn't a good friend, but maybe we can start over?" He apologized.

"Oh... Vincent, I accept your apology, but I don't know if I can go back to being friends." I smiled sheepishly, not sure what else to say.

Vincent nodded, looking sad before focussing back on the hatchlings.

I walked over to them and Zelda and Mipha saw me. They ran over to me and I gathered them into my wings (almost like a hug). I pulled back after a little while and smiled down at them.

"Where's Link?" Zelda asked.

"Oh he's gonna hang out with his friends for a little while. He'll come back soon." My voice nearly cracked, as I pictured him covered in blood. I pushed the image away and focussed on my other two children.

Link would be fine. I would make sure of it.

Sooooooo I published a chapter...

Omg I'm so sorry everyone. I literally left this story for what? Like 8 months or something? Recently, I got an urge to write this story again and decided that I should. For some reason, I wrote this part right before my birthday so today is my birthday!!! XD I would really like to promise you that I will be posting more often now, but I honestly have no idea. I'll try my best and the next chapter should hopefully come out in 3 to 5 days, maybe sooner idk. Well, I love you my dragon babies and should hopefully see you soon!

DragonMother21