Begin Again

“Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.”

― Steven Wright

I rubbed my eyes trying to clear my vision.

I looked out the window, watching the trees fly past as we speeded down the highway. The sun wasn’t up properly yet, just a faint glow surrounded us. Pink and grey hues.

“Her flight is landing in 15 minutes, if we aren’t there on time she will certainly eat us alive!!”

“Ty stop freaking out, with the speed you are going on we will probably reach before time.”

Ty turned his head around to give me one of his you-are-crazy glares, I grinned at him.

I rolled the window down counting on the chilly morning air to wake me up, the wind rushed through my hair the cold settling on my skin.

The remnants of my dream still clouded my mind. A forgotten memory or maybe my mind was playing tricks on me? I couldn’t even remember what had actually happened just that it was something important, something vital.

Jo-Jo….. She was supposed to be my best friend; I hadn’t seen her in 3 months. It troubled me that I couldn’t picture her face in my mind, her laugh, the way her hair looked in sun, or her anger: something that scared Ty.

Had I trying to erase the bad memories removed all the good ones too?

I looked at Tyson; his brown curls were slightly swaying due to wind, his eyes shone with excitement.

He was happy that Jo-Jo was coming back.

He suddenly grinned, dimples forming on his cheeks a throaty chuckle escaping his lips. The voice triggered something in my memory.

I didn’t ask him what he was laughing about; he had probably remembered something.

Like me he had also just gotten out of bed but unlike me he still managed to look like a model.

The tight grey shirt showed off his perfectly sculpted muscles, the v-neck adding to his charm.

Tyson was one of the most sought after boys in the school; he had everything the girls looked for: looks, money, charm, brains.

Most of the popular boys were a part of the football team but Ty wasn’t.

Ty was the head of the photography club, and the second most intelligent student at our school.

He had a reputation of being a player but the truth was none of the girls that he went out with, wanted a relationship.

Ignis High was a collection of Boston’s elite and powerful, except for a few who were studying on scholarship. It did not only demand a healthy bank account but also brains. The emphasis there was really on grades. If you can’t maintain a C+ average, out you go.

Ignis graduates enrolled their kids as soon they’re born.

Tyson hated all the attention but that was something that came with his name. Being a Monikan he was the richest boy in the city. His grandfather had doled out money to build the sports wing of the campus.

So now Ty had his name on one of the school buildings and everyone knew who he was.

There was just one person in school who was richer than him and that was me.

Within the student body there was a ruling system. To survive you had to get to the top, the It-group contained the wealthiest students.

Me and Ty had been on the top in our first year but then we had lost interest.

When your own life is messed up you don’t have time to play with others, or maybe I just didn’t have the heart to control and manipulate people anymore.

I knew everything about Tyson, all his habits, his problems, his life.

But even though I hadn’t known Jo-Jo as long as Ty it was till troubling that I couldn’t remember stuff about her, or that I wasn’t as happy to see her as Tyson was.

“Okay we are here!!! Hurry up we are twenty minutes late. She is gonna cut our heads off!!!”

Somehow my brain still wasn’t functioning, like i couldnt breathe,I slowly opened the door and got out.

“HURRY!!!!”

Even this early the airport was crowded.

Ty grabbed my hand and started dragging me towards the arrivals.

I saw her first. She stood out in the dull crowd hurrying back and forth. Her face composed and calm but there was undeniable fury in her eyes.

Suddenly I could breathe again.

I hadn’t forgotten her.

Those light brown waves were the same. She had done them shorter and in layers.

The green eyes that knew everything.

Hands on her hips, two suitcases by her side. Her gaze directly on us.

I knew what she was gonna say before the word was even out of her mouth.

“ASSTARDS!!! Get here now!!”

Tyson spun around his eyes searching for the owner of the voice.

As soon as he found her he bolted towards her, picking the girl of the ground hugging her.

“Jacqueline! You are back!” he gushed.

“Do not call me by that name! and why the hell are you guys so late!!”

The voices, their laughter.

It was déjà vu.

Suddenly I remembered my dream.

When Jo-Jo had come to me and Tyson a week into our first year at high school.

I couldn’t understand how I had forgotten it.

Sometimes to find a reason to live again, to survive, you have to look inside you.

And my reason was right in front of me.

It was time to begin living again.

its a  picture of tyson on the side ------->