Chapter 4: Calli

Back in my apartment, I patched myself up. I could feel the inner demon in me trying to get out as blood pumped through my arteries

Fear spread over me as I knew this wasn't normal. 

I looked in the mirror to see all my teeth sharpened to kill, my eyes blood red and my hair white and in rough shape. I scrambled back in terror.

It was happening again. That demon staring back that haunted me ever since I had left my family.

I quickly ran to the refrigerator and grabbed a blood pack, practically inhaling it. I still felt my rage building so I scrambled for more.

It took me about five packs before I felt like myself again. But it wasn't just about drinking blood anymore. It was about draining life.

This was definitely not anything related to vampires. Mother told me about a myth that haunted the Elders. She recited it to me once, and just once, when I was a little girl. A set of rules that I now vaguely remember. A monster, born of the defiance of these rules that would bring catastrophe to human and vampire kind.

I laid down on my bed and closed my eyes, hoping for better dreams. The encounter with Athan had shook me. I've been trying to lay low from my family, but I knew this day would come where someone would find me eventually.

Not even an hour in, a familiar voice called out my name.

"Callidora...." a faint female whisper filled my head. "Callidora..."

I jolted up, only to be kicked back down again and held there by a sharp stiletto.

"Tsk tsk" she purred. "Is this the way you greet your sister?"

Her blonde hair flowed down and covered my face, choking me as she peered down at me. She had an evil smirk on her face, her blue eyes full of psychopathic intentions.

"Corina!" I growled. "What do you want?"

She smiled sweetly and caressed my cheek as her heel was digging deeper into my chest. "To see you suffer." she whispered as she forced her heel straight through my flesh.

I muffled my screams as best I could, trying not to attract attention from my human neighbors. 

"Scream, sister! Let them know you're in need of assistance. I'm quite hungry." she squealed, as her heel dug deeper.

"Corina! That's enough!" Athan said, as he appeared out of the shadows.

She immediately obeyed and ripped her heel from my chest. Blood was spurting everywhere as I ran to the bathroom to my first aid kit.

"What in the hell, Corina!" I shouted.

She stood in the doorway, admiring her nails. "I'm sorry." she purred. "Athan told me the situation you were in, and I needed to see for myself."

I scoffed, rolling my eyes. The selfish brat didn't have enough room in her small heart to care about anyone but herself.

She walked up to me, tucking my hair behind my ears and whispered. "I also wanted to remind you to stay away from him."

I scoffed again.

"This is not a joke!" she growled, grabbing my hair and yanking. "Since you decided to leave, mother and father gave Athan to me!"

My heart dropped into my stomach, but I did my best to suppress my true feelings. I managed to stifle a smirk.

"Then what are you so worried about?" I whispered.

A flash of red came across her face and I prepared for another strike.

"Corina! Be gone." Athan demanded.

As she did before, she quietly let go and obediently floated to his side.

I found my rage slowly bubbling through me again, to the point I just couldn't hold snarky self back. "What exactly IS your problem you intolerable wench?" I asked, as I finished mending open wound.

She paused and slowly turned to face me. I could feel her rage.

"You and your love for these humans makes me sick! They're weak, which makes you weak. As the future Elder leader, I don't tolerate weakness in our family." she hissed.

Athan had to take hold of her wrist to stop her from attacking me again. "Raveinent won't be pleased if you continue this nonsense, Corina." he said.

"I don't care if mother isn't pleased! SHE cut us off!" Corina squealed as she pointed to me. She turned her whole body towards me. "I don't understand why YOU'RE still their favorite! You have ruined this family!"

She screamed in a tantrum and jumped out the window.

Athan and I were left alone in the darkness. He looked at me sadly, his those hazel eyes of his that once were my comfort.

"You should keep her on a leash." I scoffed. I was slowly calming down from my anger, but him being here was keeping me from complete peace.

He didn't respond to my snarky remark as he made his way towards me, suddenly taking me in an amorous embrace.

"You need to come back. Be an Elder again." he whispered, his lips brushing against my ear. "I need you."

I missed him. His touch. His smell. But I used up all the energy I had left and shoved him away. "You don't need me, Athan." I said burring my face in my hands. "You've made that clear."

He took my hands away from my face and placed it on his heart. "Do you still love me?"

I froze, as I knew the answer to that. But he turned his back on me the moment I needed help. Rage built up as I shoved him away. "Leave me ALONE!" I screamed.