Chapter 14: Athan

Corina annoyingly barely left my side, at the same time she was giving me the cold shoulder. Not that I really cared. It was just irritating to have her lurk around. My mind was all about Calli. If this curse consumes her, I'd lose her forever.

Everyone at the mansion was under stress. I wouldn't blame them. Without a reason for this lock down, no available food sources except what is being given. Everyone was getting stir crazy, and stir crazy vampires meant trouble.

Lemures and Raveinant did their best to calm everyone, with also organizing a search team to look for Calli.

I got up and started walking to the bedroom door.

"Where do you think you're going?" Corina hissed.

I rolled my eyes. "To get something to eat."

She scoffed. "or going to find your precious Callidora."

I turned and looked her dead in the eyes. "Why do you torture yourself?" I asked. "You know I love your sister and ONLY your sister."

"And yet she tried to kill you." she purred.

I scoffed and turned to walk away before she suddenly grabbed my arm.

"I just don't understand." she pleaded. "I would do anything for you, Athan! Why must you choose someone that defies you as a future Elder?"

I jerked my hand away.

"It's not about defiance, Corina." I said. "I respect she has a mind of her own that can lead the future vampire race."

"And yet you disagreed with her the last night she was part of this family." she smirked.

Her words were daggers to my heart, because they were true.

That night Callidora left, she was acting very odd, like she was in a panicked daze. She mentioned something about needing to change the law of the vampire community and then headed straight to Lemures and Raveinant without an explanation. Since I wasn't an Elder, I wouldn't have been able to interrupt their private confrontation, but I did hear something about how she needed to be sent away for a long time.

I slipped back into our chambers and a little while later she came barging in, scrambling to get all her stuff together. I asked her where she was going but she didn't reply at first. I had to hold her stop. She was shaking. She started mumbled something about the laws of our community and she asked me a question that had me dumbfounded. She asked when the time came down to it, would I defy every Elder law known throughout history.

With a chance for my family to become part of the Elders hung on her question. It was impossible to defy the laws of the vampire race, and she knew this. Yet she was asking me to risk that chance.

I remember staggering back wards, as she fell to her knees and pleaded me to trust her. Too much was at stake, so I declined her. She still pleaded saying that trusting her was more important than the law. She was crawling on the floor begging me. If she didn't stop she'd be in more trouble.

So I did what most Elder males would do. I struck her.

I saw her heart break into pieces, tears streaming down her face as she held her cheek where I had hit her. She quickly grabbed her things and left the room.

I still didn't understand what had happened till this day. But I understood very well I shouldn't have done what I did.

I quickly left Corina in the room and headed downstairs to the great hall.

The great hall and foyer looked like a refugee camp, and in ways, it was. Almost every room in the mansion was full of uncomfortable vampires eager to hear news.

"Athan, you should be resting." Raveinant said as she and a group of other vampires handed out blood packs. "It is vital you regain your strength."

"I needed something to eat, your grace." I said. "and a short stroll in the gardens for fresh air."

She looked unconvinced.

"I will send blood packs to your room." she said, but I still didn't budge.

"Oh very well. If you must walk around, do it inside." she said. "I'll crack a window or two open for your fresh air, but no going outside."

Man, this was a serious lock down.

I bowed in respect and took the blood pack she offered before she continued on distributing.

I wandered around the great hall till I was sure Raveinant wasn't around, before slipping quietly into the gardens.

The fresh air was amazing. The moon made the fountain glow and the flowers surrounding the area have a mystic aura to them.

But though I tried my best, nothing could veer my mind from Calli.

If she became consumed by this monster, Raveinant made it clear they would have to kill her. But would they really do that? She's their daughter, the golden child. There had to be a solution if the worst happened.

My Callidora. My sweet Callidora. I needed to help you. But to do that, I need your blood to cure me.

Suddenly, the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. Goosebumps formed on my arms. Gravity shifted beneath my feet as if I were being summoned.

But it didn't feel like a normal Elder summon. It was something beyond that.

I let my feet guide me, almost like I didn't have a choice. It lead me to the far end of the gardens with the high hedged bushes. There was a certain smell in the air that was oddly arousing. That's when I heard a low growl. It was coming from the bush in front of me. I took a closer look, slowly creeping towards it. That's when I saw them.

Two crimson eyes looking straight at me.

I wanted to run, but my body wouldn't let me. I was petrified.

Only an Elder could do this to a vampire. In that moment, I knew exactly who it was. It stepped out of the bush growling and baring it's teeth.

"Callidora" I whispered.

She growled deeper. Her white hair now slightly covered her arms and legs. She was definitely taller, and her once beautiful hands very much resembled claws.

My love, what has become of you?