Chapter 10: Athan

My anger almost got the better of me, till I heard Calli scream. I turned around to find her having a seizure. I ran back and scooped her up in my arms as she continued to convulse violently.

"Callidora!" I yelled trying to shake her awake. My heart was sinking as she kept on convulsing. This curse was consuming her, and me, the guy who always had answers, didn't know how to stop it.

"What's happening?" Fitz asked, running to her aid with concern.

I pushed him out the way as I stood up with her still in my arms. "Nothing! Just leave!" I growled. Her allure really had this guy under wraps.

"I can call the ambulance..." he said fumbling out his phone.

I pointed to the opposite direction angrily and yelled at the top of my lungs. "Just go!" I said as I tried to calm Calli down. 

After a minute Calli's body tensed up and then lay limp in my arms. Her silk hair blew in the wind, eyes closed, with a frown of pain still on her face.

"Calli! Calli!" I called "Come back to me!"

Suddenly, her eyes shot open. They were bloodshot red with no indication of a soul. I ran my fingers through her hair had faded into a wispy rough texture. For the first time in my life, I was afraid.

She stared at me for a moment before I started to see an angry hunger within her. I've never seen anything like this in my entire life. She growled deeply and lunged at me, baring her sharp teeth. I restrained her as much as I could, holding her in a bear hug as she thrashed around everywhere.

"What in the hell!" Fitz screamed, jumping out of the way. "What's happening to her?!"

This guy was really pissing me off.

"Look, you need to leave. For your sake." I said. "I can't hold her much longer."

It seemed like he did listen to me this time. Fitz scrambled away as quickly as he could.

I then felt a sharp searing pain in my shoulder as Calli sunk her teeth into my skin.

This didn't feel like a regular vampire bite. There was a burning sensation, like acid had been injected, eating away at my skin.

I loosened my grip on her and she quickly scrambled away into the night.

Now I truly believed in what Raveinant had explained to me. She was out of control and very powerful. I needed to find her before she caused more chaos. But I knew I wouldn't survive long enough to catch her before this venom had consumed and killed me. I could feel it slowly eating away at my insides.

My poor Callidora. I felt helpless. I WAS helpless. 

I gathered all of my remaining strength and dispersed away from the city.