chapter 17

-

-

ALEX OPENED HER EYES, immediately raising up when she wasn't in her own soft, comfy sheeted bed. Her shoulders relaxed when she took in her surroundings, realizing she had fallen asleep at Bill's house.

Somehow during the night, Sookie had pushed her off the couch and onto the floor. A habit her little sister had since they were children. She pursed her lips and stood up, rubbing the back of her neck. The sun seeped through the windows and she squinted her eyes, gently shaking Sookie awake.

"Sook." Alex placed a hand on her shoulder, watching as the young girl opened her eyes. Sookie immediately stood up, running to the closet beside the stairs. She opened it, kicking the door frame with her foot when she saw an empty cubby hole.

"He's not here." Sookie leaned against the closet door and sighed. Alex stopped over, peeking into the cubby. Alex looked at her sister and then back at the sunlight shining through.

"I'll make you breakfast, come on." Alex wrapped an arm around her shoulders, leading her out the door and back over to Adele's house. Sookie sat at the kitchen table, while Alex scoured through the cabinets to find food to fix.

"Damn, Sookie. We're going to the grocery after we eat, you don't have anything in here." Alex pulled out pancake mix, some bacon, and sausage. She quickly got out a skillet, gently dropping the bacon and sausage in the pan.

"I'm gonna go change real quick." Sookie looked over at Alex who nodded. The young girl ran up the stairs, and by the time she got down, Alex had their plates made.

Alex reaches into the refrigerator, grabbing an ice cold bottle and popping the cape off. She took a seat beside Sookie, who gave Alex an unimpressed look, "Beer for breakfast?"

"I almost got killed the other day, this may very well be my last beer. I'm not takin' that chance." Alex argued, placing a hand over her heart before digging into her food. She watched as Sookie clicked the remote, turning on the small TV in front of them.

"- burned down. 3 casualties were found, we aren't sure at this time, but we speculate that those 3 bodies, were vampires." The news anchor stood in front of a smoking house and Alex furrowed her eyebrows.

"Last night you said those vampires bought the old McClaren house right down the road from Merlotte's? That's it." Alex's eyes widened and she shared a look with Sookie. The younger blonde didn't need to peek into her sister's head to know what she was thinking. Leaving their half eaten breakfast on the table, Alex grabbed her keys and followed Sookie out the door.

Alex was pushing 50 on the old dirt road, making the dust fly behind her. Sookie was tapping her finger tips to her knees. Alex made a sharp turn, going into the driveway of the house. She pulled up next to the news van she had just seen on TV. They both hopped out of the car, running up by Bud Dearborne.