Volume 1, Chapter 1: The First Step

All the new arrivals to Beacon were lined up at the cliffs overlooking the Emerald Forest. They stood on silver tiles pointing towards the forest while Headmaster Ozpin and Professor Glynda Goodwitch stood in front of them holding their signature mug and tablet, respectively.

"For years, you have trained to become warriors, and today, your abilities will be tested in the Emerald Forest," Ozpin spoke to the students. Glynda took the opportunity to speak up.

"Now, I'm sure many of you have heard rumors about the assignment of teams. Well, allow us to put an end to your confusion. Each of you will be given teammates... today."

"What? Ohhh..." A student, Ruby Rose, groaned out while Ozpin continued.

"These teammates will be with you for the rest of your time here at Beacon. So, it is in your best interest to be paired with someone with whom you can work well. That being said, the first person you make eye contact with after landing will be your partner for the next four years."

Ruby couldn't hold in her shock and let out a "WHAAAAAT?!" while another girl in pink with orange hair turned to a boy in green and said, "See? I told you-!"

"After you've partnered up, make your way to the northern end of the forest," Ozpin interrupted. "You will meet opposition along the way. Do not hesitate to destroy everything in your path... or you will die."

A blond in a black hoodie and armor, Jaune Arc, laughed nervously before gulping loudly.

"You will be monitored and graded through the duration of your initiation, but our instructors will not intervene. You will find an abandoned temple at the end of the path containing several relics. Each pair must choose one and return to the top of the cliff. We will regard that item, as well as your standing, and grade you appropriately. Any questions?"

Jaune raised his hand and said, "Yeah, um, sir?"

"Good!" Ozpin said, ignoring Jaune. "Now, take your positions."

Everyone began to strike poses as they got ready to be launched. Jaune, however, was still raising his hand.

"Uh, sir? I've got, um... a question. So, this landing... strategy thing... Uh, wha-what is it? You're, like, dropping us off or something like that?" He asked, unaware of students being launched from their platforms.

"No. You will be falling," the headmaster answered.

"Oh, uh, I see... So, did you hand out parachutes for us?"

"No. you will be using your own landing strategy."

"Uh-huh... Yeah." Jaune said, still not noticing the students before him being launched into the forest.

When it came to her turn, Ruby's older half-sister Yang Xiao Long winked at her before putting on her aviator sunglasses. She flew off with a "Woo-hoooooooo!" a second before her little sister joined her.

"So, what exactly is a landing strategYYY?!" Jaune asked right when his platform launched him into the sky. Ozpin simply looked to the cloud of students making their way down into the Emerald Forest as he took a sip from his mug.

==================================================

Over the Emerald Forest, a bird was flying gracefully through the air until it let out a shriek and was turned into a cloud of feathers by a certain red-and-black-clothed scythe-wielder.

"Birdie, no!"

Ruby then fired off her High-Caliber Sniper-Scythe, Crescent Rose, a few times to slow her descent to the forest floor. She transformed her weapon into its scythe form and rammed the blade into a tree, sliding down at a slower pace.