Volume 1, Chapter 4: Jaunedice

With his mace, The Executioner, perched on his shoulder, Cardin Winchester stared down his opponent, Jaune Arc. He was clearly losing the fight, leaning on Crocea Mors to keep from falling to the arena floor. Their armor shone in the light provided by the spotlight covering the Beacon Academy auditorium stage.

Jaune looked up at Cardin, who laughed at his tired state, and gathered what strength he could to charge and swing his sword at the bigger boy, only to miss when he jumped out of the way. He looked back in surprise long enough to see The Executioner send him and his shield flying back. Getting back up, Jaune brandished his sword with both hands and attempted to attack again.

This time, Cardin blocked the blade with his mace's hilt. He forced himself up and over Jaune who was struggling against the lock they had their weapons in.

"This is the part where you lose," Cardin said with a grin.

"Over my dead—" Jaune was cut off by Cardin's knee hitting his gut, causing him to drop his sword and himself to the ground in pain.

Now free from any counters, Cardin raised his weapon over Jaune's grounded form with both hands with the intent of finishing him off brutally. Fortunately for a worried Jaune, he was stopped by a buzzer ringing, the lights coming back, and the sound of Glynda Goodwitch's voice.

"Cardin, that's enough!" she ordered. He relented and walked off, though remained on the stage as Glynda walked on. Tapping on her tablet, she addressed the audience without looking up. "Students, as you can see, Mr. Arc's Aura has now dropped into the red. In a tournament-styled duel, this would indicate that Jaune is no longer fit for battle, and that the official may call the match."

Jaune continued to lay on the floor, defeated, as Pyrrha looked on in sadness. Glynda turned her head to look at the loser of the duel as he pulled out a smaller tablet that showed his low, blinking stats alongside those of the rest of Team JNPR. "Mr. Arc, it's been weeks now. Please try to refer to your Scroll during combat. Gauging your Aura will help you decide when its appropriate to attack, or when it is better to move to a more... defensive strategy. We wouldn't want you to be gobbled up by a Beowolf, now, would we?"

"Speak for yourself..." Cardin muttered with an obvious lack of concern or interest

Glynda returned her attention the audience of students such as: Yang Xiao Long, punching the air in anticipation; Weiss Schnee, shaking her fists with an excited smile; Ruby Rose, shaking her entire body with enthusiastic energy; and Simon Rossi, looking at his teammates with a small, "What the hell?" look on his face before hesitantly focusing on Professor Goodwitch when she started addressing them.

"Remember, everyone, the Vytal Festival is only a few months away! It won't be long before students from the other kingdoms start arriving in Vale, so keep practicing! Those who choose to compete in the combat tournament will be representing all of Vale!"

The bell signaling the end of class rung, and students started leaving the room. Pyrrha continued to sadly frown at a still-sitting Jaune, who hung his head in shame.

==================================================

"So! There we were, in the middle of the night..." Nora spoke ominously to her audience.

"It was day," Ren corrected in his usually-stoic voice.

"We were surrounded by Ursai..."

Blake payed no attention as she read her book while Yang sat next to her, hands cupping her face as she hung to every word Nora spoke.