2.3

"Are you sure my big ass will fit in there?". Miguel asked. Paola's brother and her parents were let into the garage of Lando for the first practice day and Lando just asked Miguel it he wanted to take a seat in his car. "I'm sure you will, even Randy fits during the pit stop practices". He playfully pushed one of the McLaren engineers as he said it. "Well, if you're sure". Miguel took a deep breath and followed the instructions of the mechanics to get into the car. The Colombian settled into the seat, his long legs propped up slightly, but it fitted. "This is pretty cool". He grinned and Lando nodded. "Right?". He smiled, briefly looking over at Mr & Mrs. Karol. It was visible that they loved the time they could spend here with Paola. "Alright, help me out buddy". Miguel chuckled and Lando offered him a hand while the tall soldier got out of his car. Miguel looked over at his parents as well and then back down at Lando. "I haven't seen my sister this happy in so long". He started.

Paola had just joined her parents and her hand rested on her mother's shoulder while she was seated in the wheelchair. She was talking to them and visibly explaining some things. "She fits well within the team". Lando filled in and Miguel nodded. "It's good to see, but we miss her at home". He sighed, a smile still curling his lips whatsoever. "I can imagine, it's not just a two hour drive to come over and see her". Lando said. He wasn't used to that. His family was a car ride away whenever he was back home for a couple days between the races. "I can see that you're good for her, Lando". Miguel smiled and briefly gave his shoulder a squeeze. "Good to know she has someone like you around when we're all those miles away". Miguel's words gave Lando a fuzzy feeling inside. Appreciation from Paola herself was already magical, but now knowing that her family appreciated him with her too, felt even better some how. "We all keep an eye on her here". He said, not wanting to stand in the spotlights.

"Good". Paola's brother said and moved back to his family. Lando smiled at Paola who looked over at him and his heart skipped a beat at the beautiful glow she had around her. She was going to meet his family between the practices today, over lunch. He couldn't wait for them to meet her. Lando was sure his sisters would love her and so would his parents. Lando had offered to arrange a family dinner this evening. They'd have enough time after second practice to get to the briefings and then get ready in the hotel. Paola had loved the idea, but was also nervous about it at the same time. She kept worrying that it might not click well with her family and that the atmosphere would be icy. Lando couldn't see that happening at all and he had said that the only way to find out, was to go out for dinner tonight. Angus reached him his helmet and Lando smiled briefly, getting his suit back up over his arms and shoulders and zipping it up to his chin before arranging his hair under his balaclava and locking his helmet under his chin.

He looked at Paola a last time through his visor, Paola smiled back as she could see the laughing wrinkles around his eyes. Lando hopped over the halo and settled in his seat, pulling his gloves over his hand while his mechanics locked him into the car. The engine felt warm behind him and he was ready to set a couple laps on his home soil.

"I'm sweating so bad, don't you have any deoderant?". Paola hissed at Matthew. "You're fine, Paola, goddamnit". He waved her away. "You're meeting his parents. Lando loves you, they love you, it's automatic". Matthew added. "Get out before I kick you out of the cafeteria". Matthew turned around with a spoon in his hand, looking rather funny than intimidating and she laughed. "Okay, okay. I'll be back after the lunch". Paola said and moved her fingers through her hair one last time, leaving her apron behind the counter and making sure her McLaren blouse was spotless before she made her way over to the other side of the hospitality. Paola's parents were escorted back to the hotel. Her mother was tired from the activities of the first half of the day and Lando had arranged that they'd be brought back. Her mother could rest for the evening now and maybe her brother and her father were going into London later. Lando stood up as soon as he saw her and he already melted at the sight of her pink cheeks.