chapter 1: The woman next door

It was the beginning of autumn in Royal Woods Michigan. The once green leaves on the trees were now bright orange, falling on the Lawns and streets below. The sun hid behind the dark grey clouds in the afternoon sky. Walking down the sidewalk were two teenage boys with book bags on their backs. One was a cacasuian boy with white curtained hair. He wore an orange t-shirt underneath a black northface jacket. He wore blue jeans with tears in them and white sneakers without any signs of dirt or stains. Walking beside him was  young african american boy with a hi-top fade hairstyle.He wore glasses along with a black hoodie, black jeans and black jordans. Their names were lincoln Loud and Clyde Mcbride, both 16 years old and juniors enrolled at Royal Woods high school. The pair have been bestfriends since early childhood and their bond has grown stronger as the years went by . Lincoln and Clyde were so exhausted that day. The school week had been going by extremely slow. if that wasn't bad enough, they received a ridiculous amount of homework in chemistry and in math class. Lincoln took a deep whiff of the air before turning to his best friend with a grin. 

“Ahh you smell that Clyde?” He asked. Clyde myself took a quick whiff of the air then turned back to Lincoln.

“You mean the smell of a fire  burning nearby?” He replied. Lincoln rolled his eyes with a smile still on his face.

“No Mcbride, I mean the smell of freedom. The scent of no homework, no quizzes and no tests. Nothing but freedom.” he explained.

“I know buddy. I been having a recurring nightmare where a review packet is trying to kill me with a knife.” Clyde shuttered at the mention of said dream.

Lincoln once again grinned ear to ear as he imagined a thick paper packet chasing  after his friend with a butcher knife. The pair continuing their conversation while turning the corner onto franklin avenue.

“So do  you have anything planned for the weekend?” Lincoln asked. Clyde stoke his chin as if was trying to figure out the worlds hardest math problem.

“No not really.” He answered with. 

“Me neither, so you know what that means.” Lincoln said.

“HORROR MOVIE MARATHON!” They both said in unison. An excited Clyde jumped in a pile of leaves in  a nearby lawn. Lincoln did the same, cannonballing into the gigantic pile. He laughed rolling out of the leaves onto his back.  Lincoln sat up turning around toward the house behind him. His smile quickly disappeared when he discovered whose house it was. Lincoln sighed getting back on his feet. 

“ lets go clyde before…Oh yeah right.” The 16 year old said putting his hands in his pockets.  The house they were at belongs to his neighbor mr Grouse, well it used to. Mr grouse recently passed away a couple of weeks ago. Not long after that, a family moved into the empty house for sale. 

Even though Lincoln no longer had to worry about the  old man next door complaining, but he didn't want to make some new enemies so soon. 

“ lets go inside clyde. I want to start our marathon as soon as possible.” Lincoln said walking toward his house.  Clyde got up and began to follow right behind him when he felt his phone vibrate. He pulled it out to find he got a text from his dads.

“Oh shit, i'm sorry linc,can we reschedule our movie marathon?  My dads want me home ASAP.” Clyde told lincoln. 

“Oh okay how about tomorrow?” He suggested.

“Sounds cool. See you loud.” The mcbride boy said before making a break for it in the opposite direction. Lincoln shrugged shoulder and made his way towards the front porch. Once he stepped onto the porch he entered through the front door into the living room. 

“Home sweet home.” Lincoln breathed a sigh of relief prior to shutting the door behind him.  He tossed his book bag down on the couch before heading for the bottom of the stairs. Lincoln was about to go upstairs  when his mother called his name from the kitchen. 

“Lincoln there's someone I want you to meet.” She shouted. The white haired child turned around and walked into the kitchen. There he found his mother Rita loud sitting at the kitchen table with a woman he had never seen before. This woman looked to be the same age as his mom with olive skin and black hair that was tied into a bun. She  wore a police uniform, the name tag she wore displayed her last name which read Nava.

“Sweetie this is my best friend Sandra Nava.” Rita introduced. 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you lincoln.” Sandra said with a heavy spanish accent.

“It’s nice to meet you to miss Nava.” Lincoln retorted with a friendly smile.

“So lincoln how was school today?” Rita asked her only son.

“It was long and boring.”  he yawned.

“I know how you feel. I been having that same feeling at work lately.” Rita said.

 “Do you like school?” Sandra asked.

“ I don't hate it but at the same time don't love.” Lincoln laughed

“That's the same answer my daughter gives me every time I ask that question.” She told him.

“ you have a daughter?” 

“Yes, her names Delilah and she's around your age young man. In fact she will be going to your school starting monday.” Sandra informed the two.  Her eyes grew wide when she glanced at the watch on her wrist.

“ shoot, it was nice talking Rita but i have to go to work.”  Sandra said before getting up from the kitchen table and leaving out the front door. 

“Huh sounds like a chance to make another friend lincoln.” Rita suggested. 

“ sounds like it.” Lincoln said turning around and going back into the living room. The boy grabbed his book bag off the couch before heading up the stairs. When lincoln got to the top he turned right into his bedroom. He dropped his bag by the door and collapsed face first on his bed.

“Another day in the loud house.” Lincoln said.

I hoped you enjoyed the first chapter if you did please give a vote or a comment.
Happy Halloween

-Dce1002