Chapter 33: Shatter Me

Sorry for the long wait for this chapter. I had school and then got sick. Hope you enjoy the next chapter of:

"MATE KILLER"

Dun, Dun, Dun

COMMENT

and

VOTE!

Gabriel's hand gave me mixed feelings. Some part of me liked the contact; another part felt weakened by these emotions. Dora waited until the door closed before speaking softly.

         "You promised Mac, you left that life behind," she stated.

         "We'll find Kyle. Hunting is what were good at," Seth tried reassuring me.

I glanced to Lamarr, not answering either of them. He shook his head at me; he didn't want me to call him.

         "We have sixteen hours left for the rest of our contacts to call. If Lucian and Gabriel get nothing back, I will do anything to get Kyle back."

Nobody spoke; everybody knows what Kyle means to me. Dora led Kimber, Cain, and Seth from the room; she held open the door for them glaring at me. Don't do it, she mouthed at me. I squinted, giving her my back and went to stand in front of the side table. Budur, who'd been ignoring us, was still sitting behind his desk and didn't notice Dora holding the door open waiting for him. 

        "Budur!" Dora snapped.

Looking up, he noticed the empty room and scurried out of his chair. Dora slammed the door behind him. I cringed at the sound. The floor creaked as Lamarr came out of the corner; of course he stayed behind. He stopped behind me breathing down my neck.

        "Don't even think it," Lamarr said softly.

        "I wasn't thinking about anything."

        "I know you better than anyone, Liz. You'll sneak out of here in the middle of the night to go see Raphael. Especially after everything that has happened. Do you really want to be that monster you were before?" he said.

        I snapped, facing him. "It's Kyle!"

        "And its Raphael, you know where this path leads. This is not the first time, you've acted like this. You will forsake your humanity just like you did in "Hell". I've seen this before."

        "That was then and this is now. And your a hypocrite to tell me how I lost my humanity when you don't even speak anymore after that place and this is not "Hell". The circumstances are different."

        Lamarr scoffed. "I try to let the past go even though, I know it will always affect me, but it seems that you have more issues that I do when it comes to the past. And don't pretend with me, the circumstances are practically the same. Someone taken, you coming to save them. You're not impervious. Dora and the others think you're made of steel, but even they must know you have a breaking point. They've just never seen it. I have. I know different. You pretend to be whole, that you have this impervious shell. Mac and Kyle were the last straw; one more tap and all those cracks that hide underneath your surface, will shatter you. I've seen the monster beneath. You won't survive."

Breathing hard, I turned away from him. Lamarr grasped my arm turning me back. My hand flew out to slap him and he grabbed it, along with my other hand, pulling me against his chest. We were nose-to- nose, his breathe hot against my face.

        "I won't be able to help you. Not this time," Lamarr uttered softly.

        "Kyle is the one good thing I have accomplished in my life. If Lieutenant is leading any other enforcers of "The Order", I cannot wait for any more time to pass to find him."