Chapter 34: Helpful Hand

Liz ran off leaving me alone outside. I pounded my hand on the railing and the wood cracked, snow falling off the railing. I exhaled exasperated and condensation from my breathe floated in front of me.  Dealing with Liz is like dealing with a stubborn child. Was this who I was stuck with? A mate who won't talk to me! I'd already called my parents and told them she was my mate. They were fine with her being a Hybrid. My father and mother wanted to meet her immediately, so my mother could groom her for the title of Royal Luna or Queen. My father had already made me Alpha King years back; he was just sharing the title until I located my mate, but the way Liz is acting will not work. She'd have to talk to people, laugh at their stupid jokes. How do I tell my parents I'd never get her into the same room as them, let alone laugh!

I probably should have told them everything about her before they had the chance to rush towards conclusions. When my mother finds out I'm in for it, but I prematurely assumed my mate would be a good Luna and that the duty I have towards my people ingrained in me since I was a child would be naturally felt by my mate. The prosperity and security of my people is too important for me to give them up just for Liz. Not when she isn't giving me much too work with in return. She will not work as my mate or as Royal Luna.

            "Don't give up on her."

I spun around startled, grasping the railing behind me as I stumbled. Lamarr stood in the doorway watching me.

"You speak! I was beginning to think you can't," I joked with the stone-faced Hybrid. His face didn't change at my joke.

Lamarr was like Liz, quiet, calculating and he seemed to be her confidant from what Lucian described.  He may be able to shed some light on her.

"You've known Liz a long time, more than anyone else in your pack. How do I not give up on her, if she won't tell me anything about herself? How long do I wait?       

Lamarr came outside standing in the spot Liz vacated. "You may not realize this even though you should, being centuries older than me, but she sought you out to sit and talk with you today. That on its own is an accomplishment."

"It's not much of one," I sighed.

"It's very large actually. She won't seek anyone else out, not even me. I have to go find her. So, have patience! You're breaking through to her. She'd never admit it," Lamarr said softly an accent coming out of his voice at the end. I think it was French.

            I studied his face, wondering if it would change expression. It didn't, "Why are you telling me this? She'll be angry at you if she finds out!"

Lamarr turned his head looking me in the eye. "I respect and love Liz more than I've ever told her, but it doesn't blind me from her faults or her past mistakes. The fact is she needs you in her life. Don't give up!".

I raised my eyebrow, she needed me. I turned to the forest looking at the snow, leaning on the railing. It's a little hard to believe that my cold-hearted mate needed me.

"Liz may seem cold, but she hides her pain and sadness well. Emotionally she's been hurt and she's made the best of her past. You can help heal her, I'm not saying it will be easy, but treat her like you would an opposing politician. Get her on your side by patience and subtle manipulation."

 "What! How would you even go about doing that?" I shook my head. Liz is too clever not to see right through that.

"Butter her up!" Lamarr stood inside the house. I hadn't even realized he'd moved. It's amazing how he can move without making any sound! He could teach me a thing or two!

He doesn't seem to understand that I know nothing about Liz because she won't tell me anything. How in the Goddess am I supposed to 'butter someone up', mainly Liz?

"Sour candy!"

"What about candy?" I asked him.

            "Something personal about her that you can also butter her up with. She likes sour candy," Lamarr said quietly before walking away.

I was losing patience with her, but Lamarr's words made me realize Liz's self-worth. Lamarr respected her and with him on my side I have a chance in connecting with Liz. My mate had been hurt badly. If I did not have the patience to stay by her side while she healed than no one would. She needed me in her life!

 VOTE

AND

COMMENT !!

=)