Chapter Three

"Ok so you've got to spill cos I'm getting mixed messages here," Melissa said to James as they lounged by the pool at the community centre.

It was the weekend which meant neither of them had to spend all their time dodging other kids they'd rather not have to deal with.

Not that Melissa was a kid. She'd be eighteen in a couple of months and while James had only been sixteen for a couple of months himself, they considered themselves basically adults.

"Well," James seemed to be considering the right way to answer the question, "ok so..."

"Just spit it out," she laughed at him and lowered her sunglasses, "would you fuck me, or what?"

He seemed to consider it and her incredulousness got bigger and bigger as did the shocked smile on her face as he shrugged heartlessly.

"I'd fuck her," he suggested as a pale a girl about their age with curly red hair walked by heading towards the pool. She wasn't even in a two piece, how old did her parents think she was? "I'd fuck him too," he added as the red heads older and taller brother walked around his sister with his own short crop of red curls,"

"You've got a fetish for red heads?" She accused him with a smirk, only barely offended that he didn't find her attractive.

In that moment she knew she'd never be able to tell him she wanted to see what always bulged in his shorts.

"Curls," he clarified, "above and below,"

So that was the problem? Her hair was too straight? Go figure.

"Obviously not a virgin then," she said slyly, he was far too confident to be a virgin.

He laughed but confidently rather than pompously, "definitely not,"

Melissa watched him as he lay on his stomach on a beach towel on the ground, his arse looked great from this vantage point.

Maybe she could tell him that. His green eyes were gorgeous too, and wandering.

"Who are you looking for?" She accused him.

He shrugged, "you don't know him, he's a senior,"

"Does he come here?" She looked about, suddenly interested, "he wasn't one of those boys that were chasing you?" She asked breaking their unspoken rule never to mention that again.

It had been a couple of weeks and they'd hung out so many times since then that it felt like they'd always been friends.

"I know he's a good swimmer, so maybe?" James responded but sounded disappointed.

She felt sorry for him, it was clear he was suffering from some heartache.

Her eyes flitted up to Mr. Red-Head. He was eyeing her boldly, she smirked without taking her eyes from his.

"Sorry to tell you, but I think Mr. Red-Head's swimming in a different pool to you." She pointed out and James seemed to shake with laughter.

"Be my guest, I'm not in the mood anyway," he sighed wistfully.

It was tempting.

"Nah," she said at last, "let's find you some nice rebound arse,"

He looked up at her in surprise. He hadn't said anything. He hadn't needed to. She hadn't known him long but what she did know was that he was too mature to get hung up one someone he didn't already have something with.