Chapter Fourteen & Epilogue

Melissa watched on anxiously as Blake sat next to Daniel's bed. She was trying her hardest not to feel uncomfortable about her husband being in Daniel Hennessy's bedroom but as soon as they entered together she began to feel possessive.

Possessive of her husband, of course. But also possessive of Daniel. Possessive of this space too, all things that she realised now that she felt she owned, but compartmentalised.

She wasn't stupid, Daniel shared this space with plenty of other people, male and female alike, but never in front of her. So this, right now, was new for her.

And yes. It made her uncomfortable.

Not everybody is perfect.

It had been a week since Daniel had been shot in the thigh and only a week until Christmas. Melissa had taken charge as his chief surgeon and primary carer, next to his recently acquired housekeeper whom had been employed to care for him when Melissa could not be there.

Daniel and she had not yet had a chance to discuss what had happened between them in that shabby apartment.

Or had they been avoiding it?

The air was thick with the oppressive sense of how she had utterly destroyed their long relationship.

As messed up as it might have been.

She watched Blake and Daniel through the doorway that led directly into the open planned living area. She was sorting through medications and writing out scripts for his housekeeper to fill and eyed them occasionally.

Blake had his hand on Daniel's forearm and was speaking to him with his usual warm manner.

He had no idea what had happened. Not really. He wasn't even entirely sure why he'd had to collect Tyler from a crime scene in which a very annoyed detective had filled him in upon the curious state in which Tyler had been discovered.

Melissa, on the other hand, had been sitting in the living room helping Jack setup his new laptop when Blake returned with Tyler.

Blake might have been slightly confused that he hadn't seen her car in the parking garage but if he didn't ask her about it she wouldn't say anything. If he did she'd just tell him she leant it to Sarah or something.

He hadn't. So she didn't.

"I'm heading out," the housekeeper told her politely. Melissa watched the forty-something year old woman officiously gathering about her the various lists and scripts Melissa had prepared without looking at her. She wasn't sure what this woman's problem was, but Melissa was certain it had to do with her personally.

Melissa handed her the latest script she'd just finished filling out without a word and the woman took it without any sign of gratitude and left.

Melissa looked back towards the bedroom when the she heard the elevator chime and saw now that Daniel was sitting back looking at his phone while Blake seemed not to be there.

That was curious.

Melissa moved cautiously towards the bedroom and looked in.

"He's in the bathroom," Daniel responded to her coldly. "I haven't had him abducted or anything."

She watched him quietly. He didn't look at her either. The atmosphere standing between the billionaire and his personal doctor was decidedly chilly.

She was about to walk away when he spoke up again. "I haven't pushed him out of a window; or knocked him out and hidden his body under my bed, either, just so we're clear."

She gathered her thoughts and took a deep breath. He still didn't look at her and she stood there watching him. Waiting.

He finally looked up when she didn't move.