Chapter Ten

The following morning Melissa woke to an empty bed.

This surprised her because she knew Blake had cancelled on Daniel and even looking out the window now she could see no helicopter parked atop his building.

She reached for her phone which sat charging on her bedside table and saw that it was also reasonably early.

She tapped the power button on her phone to make the screen go blank and saw her grimace reflected back at her. This was not how they usually spent their morning after a night out. They did have a house full of people though, perhaps that was it.

Last night had just been too much.

Everything that happened in the club with those guys and poor Ally. Accusing her of stalking and then having to save her from three rapists? Who saw that one coming?

And then poor Jack. She'd been so ready for him to move on with another guy that she hadn't even stopped to consider whether he'd even had sex since being raped.

Tyler... showing up with a hickey on his neck after what had just happened to Jack. She couldn't even think about how that turned out after she and Blake had retired for the night to give the two boys space to talk.

And then, Daniel. She couldn't think about him after he left last night, it was all just too confusing.

The only person that wasn't a drama in her life last night was the man who owned her heart. Maybe she was just too focused on the perfection of yesterday, which she remembered fondly. She'd hoped to wake before him this morning and show him exactly how much she appreciated him for just being him.

Unfortunately, he wasn't here for that to happen, so she climbed out of bed and padded into the bathroom.

She removed her pyjamas quickly, letting them fall to the heated tile floor, and the shower activated once she entered it. Water issued at a pre-programmed temperature from the square panel in the roof and her skin tingled under the instantly encompassing massage. She closed her eyes and looked up into the cascading water, feeling it work the sleep out of her face.

Melissa's thoughts initially followed the water down her neck into the curve of her collarbone before streaking down the shape of her breasts. They tickled her nipples before either hugging her frame back to her flat stomach and then down between or legs, or filling the tiled space beneath her feet.

Now her mind wandered elsewhere.

Last night was... complicated.

She found herself thinking about Daniel.

The way he looked at her when he'd stepped off that elevator. His anxious appearance, his concern for her.

The way he held her as if nothing else in the world was more important.

Last night was... unexpected.

Sure they were fucking one another on and off for the last few months but... they didn't do affection. Why had the billionaire trembled with fear over the thought that she might have been harmed?

Last night was... confusing.

The way she had wanted his comfort as much as he desired to give it to her.

Last night was... so typically Daniel.

The way he immediately wanted to resort to violence by threatening those who would have caused her harm.

The way he tried to drag Blake into it with that list of names.

This.

This was what she rebelled against. Blake did not need encouragement to commit harm.