Chapter Four

"I know we had other plans today, darling, but I promise I won't be long with Douglas," Her mother said to her from the drivers seat. She sounded distracted and distressed as their car moved by the intimidating wrought iron gate that had opened slowly in front of their car.

Melissa leant forward in her booster seat to observe the ugly little gargoyles atop ivy festooned stone walls that wrapped around the expansive gardens and lawns of Johnyal's home.

Douglas Hennessy was her mother's most important patient. It had only been a couple of days since they were last here and while she'd still not managed to effectively articulate what had happened between her and Johnyal, she was no nearer to getting over it.

The car crept slowly up to the gatehouse that kept the rest of the world off the substantial property and the security guard waved them through without even bothering to check her mother's identification as he'd done last time they were here.

"He didn't get your ticket Mummy," she reminded her mother, as that had been the explanation Dr. Wright had given her for handing over her drivers license upon their previous visit.

"Yes, I'm afraid we are in quite a hurry this time," her mother responded and Melissa agreed. They were travelling much quicker than they had last time; from the gatehouse and along the poplar lined driveway that wrapped around a large pond; and coming to the impressive staircase that led to the front door.

Her mother brought their car to a halt and was out, had grabbed her medical bag hastily from the other side of the back seat, and was moving quickly up the stairs before Melissa could finish undoing her own seatbelt.

That was weird? How was she supposed to get out of the car now?

She watched a bobbing head move around the back of the car and suddenly her door opened and she was eye to eye with Johnyal.

She scowled at him.

"I don't want you to open my door," she told him feeling the response was reasonable.

His face darkened, though maybe that was the fading bruise she now noticed on his left cheek.

Good. Looks like someone slapped him back for her.

He looked uncomfortable and spoke to her stiffly through clenched teeth as if every word was being forced by a parent, "I want to apologise for what happened the last time you were here,"

Melissa recognised it because her own mother had forced her to apologise to that kid she'd slapped at daycare yesterday. She couldn't even remember why she'd done it, and though she'd complied with her mothers stern request to apologise; she had no regrets for slapping the kid.

In fact she'd rather enjoyed it.

"I want my mummy," she crossed her arms and looked away from his stupid bruised face.

She'd slap him too if he got close enough.

"Well your mother is busy right now so you can come with me or stay here, I don't care," he grumbled, still with clenched teeth.

Melissa was four and that meant she was a big girl now and big girls could tell when people were being mean and Johnyal was already being mean again.

"You're a mean boy," she told him keeping her arms crossed and refusing to look at him.

His breathing sounded heavier. "Please get out of the car," he seemed to say with his last amount of patience.