DROM

Drom felt the cool breeze caress his face as he climbed the high maple tree. He heard the forest whisper softly, and the leaves dance above him. He smiled as he listened to his own laughter and that of his friend, Dai, who was running around in joyful circles below. They were lost in their games, their endless wonder sometimes making them forget their tiredness.

He reached the top of the tree and looked at the grand castle that stood before them. The vast courtyard of the castle was their best playground. He loved this place, where he could forget his duties and just be a boy. He was the son of King Higo, and Dai was the son of Hashi. They were both heirs to the ruling throne of the Independent States, but they didn't care about that right now.

"Come on, Dai, it's not that hard!" he shouted down.

"You're only saying that because you're already up there," Dai said back, fear in his voice.

He watched Dai try to climb the tree, his hands gripping the rough bark as he moved up. He cheered him on as he slowly but surely reached the top, joining him on a strong branch that went over a hedge, dividing the garden from the castle yard.

He felt the fading sunlight give its warm hug to the earth, announcing the coming of the red autumn season and slowly coloring the city in the valley, between two hills, a bright red shade. Autumn's chill breath, whispering from the northeast and northwest, would often turn its gaze toward the north. It would slam against the eldertine walls, only to be deflected back into the valleys below. Like a cruel jester, the wind would channel the miasma back into the land, leaving a lingering stench of red mist on windy days.

It was a foul smell, enough to turn even the strongest of stomachs. But he paid it no mind. Most people had developed a nose-blindness to the stench. To him, it was a constant reminder of the proximity of the capital to the walls.

He sat in a cozy position on the wide branch, enjoying the calmness of the moment as he looked at the lovely scenery. The maple leaves swayed gently in the breeze, and the far sound of forest life gave a relaxing sound to his thoughts. His eyes fixed on the castle, its stone walls covered with ivy, standing tall in the afternoon sun.

As he thought deeper, he saw the back door of the castle open, breaking the quietness. A figure came out, shadowed by the warm light coming from inside. He stopped by the door, his posture showing expectation.

He recognized the figure long before he got close—a man who had been a regular visitor around the castle, always helping his father's needs. The Medicus went down the stone stairs that led to the green garden below. Drom had never heard of a patient fully healing from the unorthodox treatments of the Medicus, yet the people's faith in him rivaled that of Arekin himself. It was a mystery to Drom, but the Medicus seemed to know his leverage, being the only physician with a reputation in the Royal Republic.

He saw Dai's brow wrinkle with a constant question, and he knew what he was going to ask. His chest tightened, and he felt a lump rise in his throat.

Finally, Dai gathered his courage, turning to him with a look of worry. "How is your father doing? Does he get any better?"

He lowered his head, his eyes moving to the ground. Tiredness hung in his voice as he spoke, the stress of his feelings clear. "They say the shai is hurting him at a faster rate than they had expected. They have no clue how long he'll be with us."

"My father won't tell me anything either," Dai said back. "He says he can help him, though."

They sat in silence on the branch, wrapped in an uneasy stillness that lasted for what felt like forever.

Dai broke the silence, his voice full of hope as he tried to cheer him up and bring back their fading joy. "But I am sure that your father can make it; if anyone will help him, it is my father. I've seen him treat far worse Weavelash patients,"