3- the box

A knock on the door was what woke Josh from his rough slumber. Looking at the clock on the cable box, Josh saw that he had been asleep for 12 hours.

Jumping slightly at another knock, the man sighs and exhausted pulls the blanket away from his body.

Opening the door, he comes face to face with a tired looking Kelly Joseph. With a small, sad smile on her lips, Josh can't help but offer one back, "Hi, Mrs. Joseph."

"Hi, Joshua. How are you doing, honey?"

Josh shrugs lightly, "Y'know."

Kelly nods understandingly.

"Would you like to come in?"

"I'd love to, sweetheart, but I'm afraid I don't have time. I just..." the older woman lets out a soft sigh, her smile dropping slightly. "Chris and I were cleaning out some of Tyler's things at the house today. We found a box."

Looking down slightly, Josh finally notices the box that Mrs. Joseph was holding.

"It has your name on it. We didn't look inside, of course, so I'm not sure what's in it, but I'm sure Tyler wanted you to have it."

Josh's jaw falls slack slightly, not knowing what to say. With shaking hands, he reaches out and takes the box from Tyler's mom.

Josh wraps a soft arm around the woman's shoulders, "Thank you."

Kelly smiles warmly, hugging the taller boy back, "You're welcome, honey."

Finally, letting go after a minute, Josh wipes a tear off his cheek.

"It was nice seeing you, Joshua."

Josh nods, "You as well, Mrs. Joseph."

🔆♥️🔆