Chapter 5: Nightmares of the Past

The fire danced and swam around Raven as smoke painfully infiltrated her lungs. The heat was so intense it felt as though her skin would begin to melt off.

Different voices said her name, a name that sounded foreign to her. The voices got louder and louder until they were pounding against her skull as if a rock was being bashed against her head.

A dark outline of a figure stood in the fire a few feet from her.

Raven stumbled backward and tripped over her own feet. A scream ripped through the air as her palms became engulfed in searing pain as the skin was instantly burned off. Her widened, bloodshot, tear-filled eyes saw that the fire was only a few inches away from her.

The figure looked at her. "I'm sorry, my dear."

She breathed out a short breath, and the flame lunged at her.

***

Raven sat up in bed, her breaths registering as short pants. She roamed her body in search of the heat but only found a thin layer of sweat.

That voice. She didn't know who it belonged to; she didn't even know if it was real. All she knew was she hated that voice.

Her shaking fingers ran through her damp hair. All she wanted to do was forget, and the only way she knew how was to get unbelievably drunk in a short amount of time.

She slid out of bed, and the room immediately spun and swirled as a headache thudded against her skull. She looked around for her pile of clothes, desperate to get changed and leave but not wake the still sleeping Richard and Colt. Her oversized white shirt was sticking to her skin due to sweat, and it was one of the most uncomfortable things she had ever experienced. She stepped forward on shaking legs and tried to still her body by wrapping her arms around herself.

Finally, stumbling to her clothes, she threw off her shirt and put the long sleeve leather one on. It wasn't ideal, but it was better than nothing.

Raven lumbered down the stairs and to the counter, where the same barman sat, asleep in a chair. She sat on a stool and banged her fist against the counter. The man awoke with a startle before his eyes landed on her.

"What da yeh want?" His accent had more of an edge to it, a heavier version of hers. He had a thick frame and his light green eyes literally glowed in the darkness.

"A drink. . . ," Raven said in an un-wantingly quivering voice. Her glossed over eyes stared at him.

He turned and began to make it as Raven stared into the abyss – the headache thudding.

The cup slid to Raven, and she snatched it without even having to look. The pint met her lips, and instantly, she began to drink as much as she could. The alcohol was still as bitter and disgusting as it had been when they first arrived, but that didn't matter right now.

Each Kingdoms' alcohol and food had a different taste. The Farian Kingdom had a sweet, almost addictive, and sensual taste. The Mundus Kingdom was slightly bitter, but still incredibly enjoyable, at least in Raven's opinion. The Monstro Kingdom had the most bitter and least pleasant Birra Raven had ever had. In terms of the Telik and Shifter Kingdoms, she had no idea but knew they would be distinctive.

"Sa, what species ar' yeh?" the man asked.

"There was no sign," she mumbled.

"What?"

"There was no sign sayin' yeh didn't welcome particular species," she gritted out. If he even thought of kicking her out, she would set the entire pub on fire.