Chapter 6: What They do for Fun

Raven's boots sunk into the black mud as she left the pub. The rain had finally stopped, and all that was left was a dense grey fog that blanketed everything.

All three went their separate ways.

It was time to have some fun.

Raven threw her hood on and moved it closer to the right side of her face, covering the burns. She found it ironic that while in a Kingdom where she would somewhat belong, she still chose to cover up. But, the group fit in just fine with their black clothes.

Her eyes scanned the people that passed. Some she could tell would have no money, others she knew would have some, but that simply wouldn't do. She was waiting for someone who had a lot. However, she didn't get her hopes up; it seemed like this village was just as neglected as the other one. Lone children ran around, far too skinny. The houses and shops looked broken and on the verge of collapse. People begged for money around every corner. Blood and death nearly blanketed the entire ground.

Finally, her eyes landed on a target. He had light brown skin and bright orange eyes. He was well dressed – layers of grey fur-lined his clothes with jewels placed over the belt and sword and chest, purposefully drawing attention to the man so everyone knew he was important. White designs ran over the light grey overshirt. The alabaster and fur indicated an important title, only the Nobles and Royals wore it in the Monstro Kingdom.

A glistening gem among the dirt.

Raven redirected her pace to match his. She bumped into his side with a rough shove before her hands grabbed his waist to stabilize herself. "Sorry."

The man shoved her away. "Get off me, whore." He had a proper Britannico accent. Now that Raven was closer, she saw the little Monstro pendant on his outfit: a pointed down dagger with black thorns encircling it. On his hand sat an all-black ring.

Raven immediately bowed, crossing her arms and pressing her thumbs to her throat: the Monstro bow. "My apologies, my Lord" Raven said, resisting the urge to spit on his polished leather boots.

The man continued his walk, and Raven straightened out, a small smirk resting upon her lips. She walked towards the Market, waiting for him to realize that he had been bested. It wasn't that she didn't know how to steal without people realizing, she simply liked toying with them – if she wanted them to know, they would; if she didn't want them to know, they wouldn't know for hours.

She wanted that pathetic man to know. Most Officials flaunted their wealth in the poorest of villages.

With a smile, she pulled out a bag of coins. His bag of coins. She shoved it into the side pocket of her cloak. Walking into the Market, she blended into the sea of black just as a voice rose behind her, "Thief! STOP HER!"

Raven sidestepped to multiple fruit and vegetable carts, rats running through the mud beneath them, seeds and skins of the food betwixt their sharp teeth. She picked up a black and grey apple – its skin swirling in a water-like motion – and dropped it, making sure to take extra long picking it up. The Official's boots came into view for a second before he walked away. Raven almost hoped he would spot her so she could shove her knife into his throat.

Raven straightened out with the apple in hand, the vendor staring at her. She reached into the pocket of her cloak and pulled out the necessary amount of money. Tossing them to the man, she walked away, wiping away the black mud onto her clothes.

The coolness of the apple soothed her throat, but not before the taste of salt entered her mouth. But it was too late, she had swallowed most of it. Without telling her body to do so, she began to cough and gag, immediately regretting coming into this Market.